Autoimmune Disorders Community
Losing my hearing very rapidly it seems

Losing my hearing very rapidly it seems

I am 41 and unable to start treatment for lupus due to no insurance.  I do work 50 plus hours a week.  employer doesn't offer insurance.  I got through my latest flare with tongue ulcers alot of muscle spasms.  Now I am losing my hearing in my right ear and do not know what to do to help myself.  Will the er do anything for me?  I m so scared to lose my hearing. had ears cleaned and it made no difference.  Voices are very muffled and hard to understand and my ear feels full.  I live in ohio.  I am just at a lose.Please give some advice.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear that you have no insurance right now. Hearing loss can be due to lupus and is usually sensorineuronal type. Other causes of this type of hearing loss are noise pollution at your work place, taking oto-toxic drugs, trauma to ear, Ménière disease, vascular diseases, certain other infections like mumps, measles, syphilis etc, acoustic neuroma (tumor of the auditory nerve) etc. The other type of hearing loss is conductive and can be caused by wax in ear, infection in the ear (otitis media, otitis externa), fluid like water going into the ear, and a hole in the ear drum.
You can treat lupus and its flares without an insurance too. The flares can be treated by taking corticosteroids. The pain if you have any can be treated by taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
You could probably go to the ER for a prescription of these drugs for the treatment of flares and for the clinical assessment of the ear canal to see if there is a blockage or not. Further testing may not be possible in ER. If the hearing loss is due to lupus, treatment with corticosteroids may improve the hearing. Take care!