Autoimmune Disorders Community
Lupus and steroids

Lupus and steroids

After suffering for almost 4 years; I finally have a diagnosis, and not one I wanted to here. My question is regarding the steroids, how long will I have to take them? I understand the doctor wants to wait until the Plaquenil is in my system; along with the other meds,  but I have gained so much weight (can you say horrible feeling).
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about such a disappointing diagosis, but congratulations on actually getting one!!!
They seem to want to wait until you have organ involvement before they start you on the Prednisone. My doctor just tried my first go with the steriods, we did just 10day. Some people I know will do 2-4 weeks.
It really depends on how severe your symptoms are that they are trying to reduce.

I can't speak for everyone, but they didn't work for me. I had minor inflammation in my chest and was getting horrible nasty low grade fevers from sun exposure. I started taking 10mg of Prednisone once a day and I got 2 significant malar rashes that came with 24 hours of fever and massive body aches. Then ended up in the hospital for a major Pleurisy attack with possible blood clot in my lungs. So I have been taken off the steriods. We are not sure why my body reacted like that, who knows, maybe it would have been worse with out the Prednisone.
But there is my personal experience. The Plaquenil does take a while 3-6 months to take full affect. I can feel a difference at 3 months.
I know that most people gain weight with the steriods, I lost weight. But the Plaquenil I dont think makes you gain. Try yoga...just beginner breathing stuff....sounds stupid but it did wonders for me.
with my dosage of predisone I went up till I was on 80mgs, yet my blood sugars went up so high  that I couldn't use predisone so my doc put me methotrexate, you only have to take it once a week , maybe this would be better for you then predisone

Has your doctor talk to you about going to a rhuemology doctor yet? He/She will be the one to deal with your lupus.

When I was on predisone man was I ever thirsty and hungry, every tinme I wanted to eat I would either down a glass of water or get off my back end and do some housework.

Good luck
Cassie