Autoimmune Disorders Community
Lyme/h1n1-low white count

Lyme/h1n1-low white count

I have chronic lyme, ehlers danlos syndrome, and a whole lot of other health issues. I had sudden onset of flu symptoms on dec 26th and while in the ER my fever was 102 and my white blood cell count was flagged as abnormally low (2.9). Since ER only deals with "life threatening" issues they didn't even mention that. They said "u have h1n1, u waited to long to come in and now the Tamiflu wont even work so just "ride it out". I was an biaxin and plaquenil for my lyme disease at the time. Is it normal to have such a low white blood count right in the Middle of an infection especially h1n1? I was soo miserable. And since then I am even sicker thn I was before (from the lyme disease). Cant walk more than 5 or 6 steps without getting winded, or leg muscles waning to give out. I am in a wheelchair when I have to go in public which I only leave house for doctors appts. I haven't showered for a week. That flu took me DOWN and I was wondering if that is normal with autoimmune disease after a virus hits? And also wondering why my white count was so low in the middle of a bad infection like that..?
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems.  If there is increased infection and the body cannot fight it, the WBC start going down as the pathogen start engulfing them. So, yes, it is possible to have very low WBC when the infection is at its peak.
Other common causes of low WBC are lupus (this you have and could have aggravated the whole situation), Hodgkin's lymphoma, some types of cancer, typhoid, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, enlarged spleen or hyper-spleenism, and folate deficiency. Please discuss with his treating doctor to run tests to find the cause.
You need rigorous management of weakness with appropriate lupus control, multivitamins etc. Eat healthy. Drink plenty of fluids like fruit juices, clear soups, broths etc. Ask your doctor what vitamins and supplements you can take. Consult your lupus specialist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.