Autoimmune Disorders Community
Muscle tightness, spasms, and pain

Muscle tightness, spasms, and pain

I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis 5 years ago. I'm being treated with prednisone, which has always made me feel as though I had a wind-up toy key in the small of my back, wound tight pulling all of my muscles tight and tense. At night, I wake up in pain with severe neck aches or foot cramps, toe cramps, back cramps. I also wake up to find all of my muscles engaged, on my back, stiff like a cardboard cutout. I'm getting massages every week or two to try and limit the tightness, I take yoga, I walk, and I do a lot of epsom salt hot baths. My doctor prescribed Zanaflex to treat the muscle spasms. I find the drug knocks me out. I try not to take it, choosing pain most of the time or limiting it to bedtime over the fog.

Has anyone else had this muscle tightness, spasm issue related to prednisone? autoimmune disease? And ... what have you done that works?

Thank you for your help.