Autoimmune Disorders Community
My nose has swollen significantly

My nose has swollen significantly

Dear Expert,
Over the last year my nose has been increasing in size from time to time, it is now swollen significantly. I am 35 years old. I am prone to autoimmune conditions (alopecia, vitiligo, rhinitis, eczema and others), and because some autoimmune conditions can cause the nose to swell (rhinophyma & relapsing polychondritis were listed as such and seemed to describe many of the symptoms i have) made me think it may be immune-related.
My Family Doctor, myself and people close to me all know that my nose has swollen significantly. I was sent to an ENT Specialist by my doctor, who after a brief check, sent a letter to my family doctor saying it was 'all in my mind', which surprised my own doctor!
I will describe my symptom below;
The bony-part of my nose is unaffected, but the lower half (nasal cartilage) has expanded outwards in all directions making my nose at least a third larger, and it is now rounded. The nostrils are larger. The nose is thicker. Wider. The nasal tip has become asymmetrical. The tip is also now softer and now can almost be pressed down flat next to my face. Also the  nose can now be pulled very wide apart, something i couldn't do before. And finally, it seems that just before more enlargement occurs, there is some nasal redness and pain.
What could this be? If you think this is not autoimmune related, please consult one of your different experts before answering this question.
Best Regards.
Ajkam (nickname)

Hi Ajkam and welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders Community.

This is NOT an Experts' Forum, which is only open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Your suspicions may be warranted, however the autoimmune concept
must become clear, regardless of which condition you are concerned with and regardless of what it is called when diagnosed, before it can be addressed properly.

Autoimmune disease is NOT a localized health condition!
It is a multi-systemic condition with many different causes.

Unfortunately, most medical protocols do not address A/I conditions as such and the successful treatment record is dismal, to put it mildly!
At best, they deal with symptom management in most cases.
You may have a fairly good idea of how it works, having all those other conditions.

A comprehensive plan to achieve total balance in all areas and aspects of one's health on an ongoing basis, is what is required for serious improvement and cure of A/I disease.

The best possible scenario for this, to my opinion, would be a VERY committed and educated patient pursuing it, under the guidance of a knowledgeable and reputable Holistic or Naturopathic Doctor.

It is of paramount importance to become actively involved & knowledgeable, as a patient, since you are your own BEST healer!

Please take a tour around , to get the "Pulse" of this community.

Note that this is not intended as a substitute for medical advice.

Best wishes!
Niko

Believe it or not, could be a bacterial colony.  I went through a die off of something that was in my in my lymphatic system not long ago, my nose got smaller as the stuff melted away under my skin.
Did you get a diagnosis.  Your symptoms describe exactly what has happened to my nose to which I have no definitive answer despite seeing various consultants.  I am beginning to suspect RP as tips of ears and ear canal have started to bother me though no evident swelling yet
Hi wilkinsvidalou.

You have addressed the wrong person. I'm not the original poster.
Nonetheless, are you referring to retinitis pigmentosa with inner ear/deafness involvement called usher syndrome?
No, I don't think so, unless you have serious damage of the retina and some deafness from inner ear issues.

You may want to consult with an ENT for your ears & nose, as well with a dermatologist (for your nose mainly as likely the glandular tissue & sebaceous glands of the skin are overgrown)

Best wishes.
Niko