Autoimmune Disorders Community
On 7/22 /14 finished tri tx for hepc G1, on 8/22 dx with episcleritis

Finished tri tx hepc G1 7/22/14; on 8/22 was dx w/ episcleritis (an autoimmune disease of the sclera of the eye).

I have been hepc UD since the 4th week of my treatment. I had a very tough time with tx and had every imaginable side effect  . I did finish tx but I did have to have the assistance of a rescue drug,  sinc WBC and platelets fell to ALERT status. Since
episcleritis is "autoimmune disease" which is caused by T cell, is this a post tx side effect? What do I do?

Thx. k2
I am assuming you treated with Interferon as part of the triple med treatment for Hepatitis C.

Both Hepatitis C and Interferon can trigger Autoimmune Diseases so it is difficult to know exactly what triggered the episcleritis.

You do not say which type of doctor diagnosed you with episcleritis. If you have not already seen a Rheumatologist, my suggestion would be to get an appointment with a knowledgeable and competent Rheumatologist who is affiliated with a university medical center. He/she will take a complete medical  history, do a thorough exam and work-up, and order the appropriate tests to determine what Autoimmune Disease/Diseases you may have.  Several Autoimmune Diseases do have eye manifestations so you want to find you what the underlying disease is that is causing the Episcleritis. If you can determine the underlying Autoimmune Disease then that disease can be treated along with treating the Episcleritis.The Rheumatologist will also refer you to any necessary specialists.

"Episcleritis is irritation and inflammation of the episclera, a thin layer of tissue covering the sclera of the eye. It occurs without an infection."

"It may occur with certain diseases, such as: Herpes Zoster, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sjogren Syndrome, Lupus, TB."

After finishing Hep C treatment (Interferon, Ribavirin, Incivek) in 2012, I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Disease. However, I had the Sjogren's Disease long before I ever treated with Interferon, in fact, decades before I treated. The Sjogren's Disease was almost certainly triggered by the Hepatitis C. I have a great Rheumatologist who tested me for everything in the book. I was then diagnosed with Sjogren's. I use Restasis for my eye dryness and irritation and Plaquenil for the Sjogren's Disease. I have been on the Plaquenil for a year and feel considerably improved from the way I felt a year ago. In fact, I feel very good.

I urge you to seek the help of a competent Rheumatologist so you can find out what is causing your symptoms. Best of luck.