Positive ANA, high CRP and ESR
Hello:

I am a 24-year-old woman diagnosed over a year ago with fibromyalgia.  Recently, my doctor ordered blood work to rule out rheumatoid arthritis.  It came back positive for ANA, but my RF factor was in range.  

My doctor followed up with more lab work, the results of which are as follows:

CCP ----- in range
C-reactive protetin ----- out of range (0.8, should be less than 0.8)
SM Antibodies ----- negative
RNP Antibody ----- negative
DNA (DS) Antibodies ----- negative
Scleroderma SCL-70 Antibodies ----- negative
ESR ------ borderline in range (20, should be 1-20)

In brief, my symptoms are as follows:

Widespread muscle aches and pain, mostly in legs.  Widespread skin prickling/buring sensation, mostly in legs and arms.  Sensation (not visible) of hand swelling and stiffness.  Fatigue.  Hot flashes.  Dizzy/drugged feeling and head pressure (could be side effects of medications -- see below).  

This may be unrelated, but I also have had unexplained episodes of sudden severe dizziness with the sensation of icy-hot on my scalp, neck and arms, that last anywhere from an hour to twelve hours and have been severe enough to warrant an ambulance trip to the hospital.

I would really appreciate any ideas on what the combination of my lab work and symptoms could indicate.

Thank you so much!

Hi ! Your symptoms do sound like they could be due to fibromyalgia.  I can tell you that 29% of fibromyalgia patients' have a positive ANA titer and some autoimmunity problems.

I am the Community Leader on the fibro / CFS board (link below). I hope that you will consider joining us because I think you will relate to many of the posters.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/44

I would also recommend getting tested for lyme disease if your physician hasn't ruled that out so far.

Sounds like you have fibromyalgia. I have an ANA of 640 and do not have an autoimmune disease, but have a host of ailments from fibromyalgia.