Autoimmune Disorders Community
Positive ANA

Positive ANA

In 1995 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Before the diagnoses I had a positive ANA. It was according to my rheumatologist "Much higher than the usual false positive some people have." I had all of the symptoms for Fibromyalgia so that is the diagnoses I ended up with. My ANA eventually went back down to normal.

Over the years I have developed other symptoms such as vertigo, ringing in my ears, discomfort in my mouth (sore gums), occasional short of breath, anxiety, depression. My Dr. does not want to do the ANA test again because she says that since it went back to normal it would not be positive again.??????????

In the last few months the index finger on my right hand has been going numb from the knuckle that is closest to the fingernail to the tip of the finger and it turns a very weird white color. After about 10-15 min. it goes back to the normal color and the feeling comes back along with a cooling sensation that last just a couple of min.  This happens only about once a week or so. Then yesterday all four of my fingers on my right had did the same thing but this time they turned white from the large knuckle in the middle of the fingers to the tip of each finger. They went numb and stayed that way for about 15 min. From the knuckle back to the rest of my hand was the normal color with feeling and all. It was very strange looking. It looks like the pictures I have seen of Raynaud’s disease

Here is my question. Has anyone ever heard of an ANA that fluctuates based on the activity of an autoimmune disorder? Can it go from positive to negative then back to positive. I'm beginning to feel like I have something other than Fibromyalgia but I hate the thought of going back to the doctor because I feel like they will not find anything again and I just look like a hypochondriac.
First of all, don't feel like a hypochondiac.  You know your body and whether or not somethng is not right.

Would you be able to see a different rheumetologist if you are not comfortable seing the old one?  What you descibe in your hands does sound like Raynaud's but there are two types of Raynuad's, primary and secondary.  Given your newest symptoms, perhaps you should consider seeing someone.  Things like Lupus can take years to diagnose (not saying that is what you have), and if your current doctor is ignoring a pattern that should be investigated, it is time to find a new one.

Hope this help you somewhat.  I cannot speak to the fluctuating ANA and many doctors seem to interpret ANA in different ways.  

Wishing you well,
Wanna

It is common for ANA's to change with the course of the illness. One thing about fibromyalgia patients is that 29% of them have a positive ANA titer. The vertigo, sore gums and ringing in the ears are all symptoms that many people w/ fibro experience. ...including the predominant symptom: pain.

However, the other poster is also on the ball. You may want to see another rheumatologist and rule out both conditions.
Hi i get a lot of tingling numbness and pins and needles inmy hands and fingers and face Yes it is Fibromyalga (fibromyalgia) from Dotpot