Autoimmune Disorders Community
Positive RNP

Positive RNP

Last March has blood work was told positive ANA and RNP.  I was told that means mixed connective tissue dis.  I do have other symptoms have for years...joint pain, fever, tired and in general just don't feel well most of the time.  Also get rash when out in the sun.  Now having gastro issues going today for endoscopy.  What can cause positive RNP? Is it exclusive to one disease?  Have been trying different treatments with some luck since then, but will this just get worse or can it get better and you lead a realitively normal life?

Thanks,
Hopeful but tired

This discussion is related to what does a positive RNP antibody mean.
Yes, mixed connective tissue can cause problems in the gastro area too.  

What pattern and amount was your ANA?
I don't know about the pattern copy of lab report that I have really does not say much.  It says Reactive to Anti-Nucler ABY SCRN and ANTI-DS DNA shows a value of 1.  Then RNP Antibody shows 161, also noted as Reactive and with an H for high.  Scale Nonreactive  120 ML

I am kinda of new to all this, at least with any type of a name to my issues.  Have had lots of problems, but not a lot of answers.  I am sure that you and many others on here can relate.  I am lucky that for the most part I have been very blessed and overall health is not that bad....sometimes just get tired of not feeling well and just want to wake up one day and not hurt.  Thanks for any advice.
Sorry jsut saw that not everything I typed showed...strange.  Scale listed at the bottom of the report is:  Nonreative 120 U/ML.  Lets see if this works maybe it is the greater than and less than symbols that are causing my issue, if not it is just me - LOL
okay symbols don't work so lets try this again.
Nonreactive is less than 100 U/ML
Equivocal 100-200 U/ML
Reactive is greater then 120 U/ML  
Sorry I will get the hang of this.
The Dx DNA, I think, is non significant.  At least that is what mine is and nothing was said about it.  

anti-RNP - antibody to the Ribonucleoprtein
It is similar to the Smith antigen, but has a different job in the cell.

A positive test occurs in some patients w/ lupus, but also in other related diseases.  So it is no useful to make a specific dx nor to follow worsening or recovery of a disease.

In the same breath, it is needed for a dx of mixed connective tissue disease.  Statistically, 20-30% of lupus patients have this antibody and a small number with scleroderma  or rhematoid arthritis.  

I would just be prepared to perhaps go through bunches of lab work.