Autoimmune Disorders Community
Possible rheumatic fever

Possible rheumatic fever

My 19 year old daughter had strep throat at Christmas. She continued to have symptoms and a re-swab showed she continued to have an over growth of bacteria so did another round of antibiotics. She was re-swabed again last week as her throat is still sore and red. Now she has developed painful nodes on the joints of two of her toes and is having a lot of joint pain in her feet. Her dr said it is autoimmune. Should be be investigating rheumatic fever as a possibility? She has also had random single red raised bumps on different parts of her body. Her feet are becoming so sore walking is very painful.
Dear Rhonda:
Is your daughter seeing an immunologist? If not, I would start there. The immune deficiency foundation (IDF) can tell you about immunologists in your area for free. Their website is www.primaryimmune.org Their web page has a publications section that includes a diagnostic guide you can download or have mailed to you for free. They can suggest tests for your doc to do. Auto-immune and immune are 2 sides of the same coin.
Maybe the IDF can help you find out some answers. Lots of good info on their site to read and look at. The people there are very helpful too.

With all those antibiotics your daughter doesn't need a yeast infection too. Does she take a probiotic?  I recommend  VSL#3, it is over the counter at Costco pharmacy. It has to be refrigerated.  Other stores carry it also. It can run more than the probiotics at health food stores but this was recommended by a GI doc as the best for the GI system. We noticed that yeast infections stopped too. Continue it for a month after you stop the antibiotic.

Another helpful thing to take is vitamin D3 also at Costco, Walmart etc. It helps support the immune system in so many ways. More info about it at www.vitamindcouncil.org   They recommend 5,000 IU a day and to adjust up or down until you reach the sweet spot of 50-70ml in your blood.  If the doc is doing blood work ask them to add on a D3 test. NOT a D2 as they are different.  D3 needs time to build up in your blood. Don't expect a fast change, give it a month at least.

These 2 things have helped us a lot and hopefully they will help your daughter too. They won't solve the problem, for that you need to know exactly what it is. Then you can treat it directly. These ideas can help while you are searching for the right diagnosis.

I hope you can find the answers you need.
Good luck,
elbamom