Autoimmune Disorders Community
Question about ana patterns/hashimotos/shjoreens

Hello:  I have had a positive ana and ssa for a while now, and have been told by the rhuemtory dr that they believe i have shjogreens, but my dr's code it as a connective tissue diease.  I had a lip biopsy done and it came back negative.  I do have dry eyes and mouth. But i have not really been given a real diagnosis for autoimmune disorder,  espcially which type of Shjogreens i have,  the lip was to give results which it didn't.

My last lupus pannel said i had ana patterns of speckled and homogenous, does this specify more for lupus?  I know i have hashimotos and have been very sick with:  Muscle pain, joint pain, extreme fatigue, puffy face and eyes,weight gain, red cheek, low grade fevers, swollen neck, hoarsevoice, bothering me when i swallow.  It is very frustrating i don't believe some of my dr's take me seriously. I've been off work since august of 2012.

I have multiple, multiple thyroid nodules and my test came up inclusive and i'm scheduled to have a thyroidectomy i really hopes it helps me. I would appreciate any feed back given.  Thank You
Hi!
Specked ANA and presence of dsDNA antibodies confirms lupus to a great extent. The speckled ANA should be studied further to confirm lupus diagnosis. Anti-SM subtype of speckled ANA almost confirms lupus diagnosis, as it is rarely present in other disorders. Anti-Ro and Anti-Sm together almost confirm diagnosis. While high antidsDNA antibodies confirm lupus, they may or may not be present during less active stage. So if antidsDNA is negative or equivocal, this test should be repeated after a gap of 2-3 weeks.
To confirm Sjogren's Syndrome, you need to undergo two main tests:  anti-nuclear antibody (ANA) and rheumatoid factor, the latter because it is possible to get SS secondary to rheumatoid arthritis. Typical ANA patterns in SS are positive SSA/Ro and SSB/La. SSB/La is more specific for SS while SSA/Ro can be present in numerous other autoimmune conditions. Apart from these tests, Schirmer's test to measure the production of tears, and a slit-lamp examination to look for eye dryness should be done by an eye specialist.
A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Also, thyroidectomy followed by thyroid hormone replacement may improve your symptoms to  a great extent. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.