Question about labs
I am 35 y/o.  Diagnosed at 8 y/o with Hashimoto's w/ goiter.  TSH now well controlled w/ synthroid.  I recently was sent to a neurologist for muscle twitching... MRI was clear, he felt they were benign fasiculations.  He sent me for labs--  the CBC was normal, ESR was high at 29, ANA was positive with a titer of less than 1:40, RNP came up positive at 167, all other antibodies were negative.  So my googling leads me to my self-diagnosis of Mixed Connective Tissue Disease ;)  I saw a rheumy who told me not to worry, it's not uncommon to have antibodies, especially with pre-existing autoimmune disease and that no treatment is needed at this time.  
Questions are:  1) Is it normal to have a borderline ANA titer and yet still have RNP antibodies?  2) If MCTD is officially diagnosed, do these numbers mean anything as far as prognosis? and  3) I feel FINE, just occasional fatigue from having 4 small kids. No joint pain, no Raynaud's, etc... so does/can it happen that people can live with RNP antibodies and NEVER get sick?  That is the goal!  Thanks!
Although my Hashimoto's is more recent, several docs have already run other antibody titers, including ANA, with some positive and some negative. I'm told it's not unusual to have, for instance, a positive ANA in a person with Hashimoto's.

The Mayo Clinic has a page about ANA testing that makes this point about antibody testing in people with autoimmune disorders.

I'm not sure about the ANA and RNP ABs. I hope someone else here can answer that question. From what I know, RNP ABs are not particularly specific for MCTD.

As for prognosis, I've been researching that question for years given my autoimmune conditions. Most of what I've read or been told is that there are at best weak correlations. How you feel is much more important, in my view.
Thank you for the reply!  I agree that it's more how you feel.  
Anyone else out there have positive anti-RNP and asymptomatic??
Thanks.
Hi LuckyLa,

I am in a similar position.  I have a negative ANA, high RNP, and no symptoms at all.  My positive RNP was discovered because my daughter died while I was in early labor 10 weeks ago, and, although it was a cord accident, I asked for tests just to make sure that I am healthy before I TTC again.  In the first blood test, my ANA was positive (I don't know how high), so they ordered further tests.  On the second test, my ANA was negative, but RNP was very high at 8.  All other antibodies are negative.  

I am awaiting more blood work from my rheumy, but he said at my appointment last week that he "treats the symptoms, not the RNP."  He wants to see me for monitoring every 6 months.  You are the first person that I've found in my relentless searching who has a positive RNP and is asymptomatic.  I'm hoping with everything in my being that we can stay that way.  I can't believe how scary this all is, especially on top of trying to grieve the loss of my child.  

I know your post was from months ago, so I don't know if your situation has changed or if you still read this thread, but I would love to hear from you about how you are doing.  
I have been looking all over and haven't found anyone like me without symptoms. Did you develop systems or are you doing well?