Autoimmune Disorders Community
SM-RNP AB

SM-RNP AB

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE CAUSES A MODERATE POSITIVE SM-RNP AB AND A POSITIVE ANA 1:80 SPECKLED? I KNOW THAT THE ANA IS ON THE LOW SIDE BUT IT HAS BEEN NEGATIVE AND NOW ITS FINALLY POSITIVE AFTER 12 YEARS OF BEING TOLD YOU HAVE A  AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE BUT ANTIBODY TESTS HAVE ALL BEEN NORMAL FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS. YET MY SYMPTOMS ARE GETTING SEVERE AND I AM TO THE POINT I CANT DO OR GO ANYWHERE! I HAVE MAY SYMPTOMS OF LUPUS SLE BUT I HAVE SYMPTOMS OF ALOT OF AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISEASES. I HAVE 8 OUT OF 11 LUPUS SYMPTOMS BUT MY RHEUMATOLOGIST SAYS ITS ALL IN MY HEAD! BECAUSE WHEN I FINALLY GET IN TO C HIM MY RASHES CLEAR UP! I HAVENT BEEN OUT IN THE SUN FOR 2 YRS. BECAUSE I CANT WALK OUTSIDE FOR 2 MINUTES AND MY SKIN IS SCALDED AND HAS HIVES I BEGIN TO SHAKE AND ALMOST PASS OUT! I HAVE HAD TO PUT DARK CURTAINS EVERYWHERE AND STAY IN NO LIGHT AT ALL! WHEN I GO TO WAL MART OR EVEN THE DR I BREAK OUT IN HIVES AND MALAR RASH. MY FINGERS ARE SO STIFF AND BEGINNING TO LOOK DEFORMED! SEVERE PAIN IN THEM! CANT HARDLY TYPE AND WRITE ANYMORE! THIS IS HURTING TYPEING THIS! I NEED ANYONE WHO WILL RESPOND TO PLEASE HELP!
Tags: SM/RNP
Speckled patterns are often indicative of SLE, Sjogren’s syndrome, scleroderma, polymyositis, rheumatoid arthritis, or mixed connective tissue disease.

Anti-Sm is an immunoglobulin specific against Sm, a ribonucleoprotein found in the cell nucleus. This is not found in any other diseases, ONLY in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). 30% of patients with SLE have a positive anti-Sm test.  A positive test usually means that lupus is present. Most people with lupus have either anti-DNA or anti-Sm antibodies.

Anti-RNP antibodies are autoantibodies associated with mixed connective tissue disease and are also detected in nearly 40% of Lupus erythematosus patients. Two types of anti-RNP antibodies are closely related to Sjögren's syndrome: SS-A (Ro) and SS-B (La).

Recommended to check out the Lupus Recovery Diet by Jill Harrington.
Thank you for the info very much! I still havent got an offcial diagnosis but I think its Mixed connective Tissue Disease because I have symptoms of so many different autoimmune diseases and connective tissue diseases! I have a severe rash on my fingers that has gotten worse and worse and no one knows what it is! I have pictures on my page if you would like to give your thoughts on them! It is alot worse now but I have lived with it for 12 years off and on! It hurts and itches sometimes but mostly burns. I am not able to bend my fingers very much because it has my loints so swollen ! I have alot of other symptoms too on my posts! But thanks for the reply! :)
my 9 year old daughter has a slightly positive ana and rnp.  she has 'internal' road map or red itchiness, mouth ulcers (3 months)/ had gi issues and an abdominal entrapped nerve last year.  what does this mean?  Her gp has made an appointment with pediatric rheumatologist.  thank you worried mom.
Lots of good thoughts in the comments, i would just add that if you can't be in the sun, that you need to be on D3 supplements. For more info go to www.vitamindcouncil.org  D3 is cheap and easy to get at Costco, Walmart etc. Your blood work should be around 50 -70mg and i would guess you are severely deficient. I would start taking some asap. The D council suggests 5,000 IU a day. You might need more due to health issues. I would take the D3 for a month then see if you can get blood work and see what your level is. I currently take 10,000 IU a day and my twice yearly blood work was at 57mg last time. Vitamin D3 does take time to build up, once you know your level you can increase or decrease the amount.
D3 won't fix all the problems but will boost your immune system so it can deal with the other issues.
Good luck!
elbamom