Autoimmune Disorders Community
Sarcoidosis from inhaling large amounts of mold spores.

Hello,  I have been diagnosed with a severe case of Sarcoidosis of the lungs and skin with fibrosis on the heart and liver.  One of the environmental triggers that has cause my Sarcoidosis is mold.  As a Hull Maintenance Technician in the Navy from 1978-1981 I was exposed to large amounts of mold.  The job as Hull Maintenance Technician was a very wide open job description back then.  We did major pipe welding, plate welding to plumbing, valve replacement, valve repacking, to firefighting, firefighting trainers, and Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Warfare.   Since my active duty time the job rate has been broken down into seperate jobs with a seperate rating such as now one that was a Hull Maintenance Technician then, my retire as a Damage Controlman today.   But, it was not that way when I was in there.  A Hull Maintenance Technician went to school for 12 weeks and after that you would get the bulk of your training as on the job working with more superior petty officers and taking more test to move up.  

My first duty station after my 12 week school was Holy Loch, Scotland on board the USS Los Alamos AFDB-7.  This was not actually what you would call a Naval ship, but a Naval Floating Dry Dock.  We docked SSBN's for the North Atlantic Fleet and always had a submarine in dock.  The Submarine sat right over the living, bathing and eating quarters of the ship.  The work stations were up in the top of these 3 story tanks.  Needless to say with the moisture content in the living area the bathrooms (heads) were always covered in black, green mold.   Even after the young sailors cleaned them, the mold was still aways present.  The compartment I lived in bathroom was so over run with mold, broken showers, toliets, etc... we have to strip the whole room out and rebuild from the terrazzo floors up.  Now this "ship" was built in 1944 so all the walls, overhead, lagging, etc.... was made with asbestos.  We were never told of any dangers and there was very little if any protection worn.  Through my whole 18 months on board I got a large dose of asbestos from working on boilers, to repairing of piping systems, to old firefighting apparell, to this remodeling job.  But the biggest exposure I am concern with on this job was the mold.  I stayed sick the whole time of working, but even after going to the corpman for being sick we were just diagnosed with a cold and sent back to work.  

Question:  How long could this overexposure to black and green mold lay dormant and then trigger Sarcoidosis of the Lungs, Skin, and fibrosis of the Heart and Liver?