Autoimmune Disorders Community
Should I have a T3 test if I have Hashimoto's

I went to my first endo appt yesterday and she told me that I dont need a free t3 done because they only do that if your hyper. I've read posts that say I do need one. So which is it?
Being a thyroid sufferer, as i have graves disease, for over 12 years.

Basically Hashimotos, is an auto-immune thyroid illness, which can also make the thyroid swing from hypo to hyper, so having a FREET3 blood test wouldnt do you any harm, and yes i would be having one.

I have come across many endocrinologists, who dont test the frees T3, and T4, for what reason i dont know, and half of them just go off the TSH, which is complete madness.

The best endos are the ones which test the Frees, i have found, because the Frees tell you whats in the body, and give a more accurate reading, so you can get a right balance in thyroid medication.

Hope this as helped, if you need anymore help just give us a shout.

Nicola
I would have your free T3 tested.

I also have hashi's and always get both free T3 and free T4 tested every time I have blood taken as well as the TSH.  
I was diagnosed with Hashi's in April. It has been a difficult 3 months for me. I am not an expert but have learned a great deal from the wonderful people on this forum and the Thyroid Disorders forum. I started my hypothyroid journey on .75 mcg of Levoxyl. It was not the right medication for me. I experienced awful side effects. I was able to be switched to Armour Thyroid (the new formulation which isn't as good as the former so I've read) and feel much better - I believe it is the T3 that has helped - and I also have good lab numbers, which include the "Frees".
With regards to the Free T3 and Free T4 tests - here is a quote from the "American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and European Thyroid Association Medical Guidelines for Clinical Practice for the Diagnosis and Management of Thyroid Nodules 2010 - Section 10.4 Laboratory Standards - 10.4.2 Plasma Total Throxine and Total Triiodothyronine - Increase or decrease in serum thryoid hormone-binding-proteins will result in changes in total thyroxine or triiodothyronine values or both. Therefore, measurement of total thyroid hormones in serum is of limited clinical value." SO! This makes me wonder why doctors STILL order the Total T's and TSH when the FREE T's provide the information needed for proper dosing!
You are right.
The Frees are the proper way, but try telling the hundreds off endocrinologists, that.

Most dont even test the Frees.
Most still go off the TSH, which in my eyes is ludicrous.

You being a sufferer know your own body, and you are the best judge, so go off your own instincts, and dont be fobbed off,

Being a thyroid sufferer myself for over 12 years, i know when there is something wrong, and laugh when endos, say your levels are ok, especially when the endo , only checks the TSH.
The Frees are the best way for dosing, and finding out what is going on.

Good luck

Nicola