Autoimmune Disorders Community
Sills Disease or Serum Sickness: Caused By Cocaine

Hello Everyone,

About 8 weeks ago I was at a concert and inhaled a small portion of cocaine.  Now I won't lie, back in my college days this may had been some what normal (every couple months) but it had been 3 years at least since I had used cocaine that night.

I woke up the next morning with a slight soar throat and noticed a very light rash on the tops of my hands.  Since that day I have now gone through fevers of 102+, severe joint and muscle pain, rashes, ect....  After about 2 weeks of these conditions being pretty severe I went to the Emergency Room.  I was there for three days and the doctors concluded I had something called "Serum Sickness" because they couldn't find anything else.  I never told them about the cocaine b/c I was a little ashamed.

Since they were unable to cure/fix/stop the symptoms I was having they have now sent me to a rheumatologist.  Since these symptoms have lasted this long (8 weeks) the rheumatologists are leaning towards diagnosing me with a disease called Adult Onset Stills.  This is based on blood tests showing I am anemic, a spike in a liver test, high white blood cell count, and a sed rate that has been at 100 for over 5 weeks.  I have not told these doctors about the cocaine use either.

Sorry for being long winded above, but what I am trying to find out is if the Cocaine could be the cause of my symptoms.  Can cocaine cause Serum Sickness or anything for that matter that would cause these symptoms?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

I don't know the answer to you question.  But I used to use drugs as well.  I hid it from my doctors because I was ashamed.  I finally was honest with them and turns out my prior drug use had nothing to do with the illnesses, from wha tthey can tell.  There is always the possibility that drugs can trigger autoimmune diseases.  I am not a doctor, I just know because I have 4+ autoimmune illnesses and have read a lot.

Tell him.  It won't change your symptoms but could maybe change the outcome.  Mostly I was worried about telling them I had done drugs thinking they would not prescribe me pain meds that I need.  That's not the case.  They see that I need them and I am honest and they help me.
As far as I know cocaine can not cause AOSD, it will not cause your sed rate to go so high.  I would almost have to say that it would make your sed rate decrease, but I am not for certain.  As far as the serum sickness I am not familiar with that but I know a lot about AOSD, if you need any info I have it in my profile and you are welcome to look at it.  I was dx'd with it and now it is up in the air whether or not it is that or some other occult autoimmune disorder.  

Good luck with all of this and please feel free to pm me anytime.

Spastic aka Ada