Autoimmune Disorders Community
Sjogrens - pain in fingers

Sjogrens - pain in fingers

Sjogrens has 'attacked' my fingers, which are swollen and very painful.  Have great difficulty opening doors, carrying things, picking up my grandchildren... looking for a natural treatment rather than drugs that could affect my organs.  I need your ideas!  Thanks, Nancy
Hi!
If your fingers are swollen and painful, it may not be due to Sjogren’s. Often in a patient suffering from Sjogren’s, this is due to rheumatoid arthritis. You could consult your specialist for appropriate tests for this. Initially you may need to take NSAIDs or steroids. When the inflammation and swelling reduces, you may be able to get relief with physiotherapy, exercise of small joints of hands and by alternate dip and warm and cool water. Please discuss with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hello there! Sorry that you are suffering discomfort while dealing with the symptoms of Sjogren's syndrome.I was diagnosed with the condition about 1 1/2 years ago.I also suffer from extreme pain in my hands. However, my RA factor is very low. Sometimes the pain is just there and is unexplainable and just due to the joint pain associated with Sjogren's. I am sorry that I am not able to recommend any treatment suggestions. I just wanted to let you know that I share the same pain and sometimes there are just not any easy answers. Hang in there! Trixie
Thanks so much for responding!  I've had all the bloodwork done and have been diagnosed with Osteoarthtiris.  Really appreciate your input.
You've been very helpful - thank you!  Nice to know I'm not alone ... on the other hand, I'm very sorry for your discomfort!
I also have this Dx it goes along with my SLE.  It can be very painful. I try to keep my hands covered if going out into the cold weather.  Sometimes I even use hand warmers. In the summer I use aleo vera lotion that I keep in the refrig.  Just a couple of tricks I have learned.  Its also great if someone else will wash the dishes for you.  lol  Wishing you relief.