Autoimmune Disorders Community
Sjogrens or Lupus?

Sjogrens or Lupus?

On 9-24-10 I had blood work performed due to pain in several joints.  ANA returned positive.  Lupus comp panel showed SM Antibody reference range 0-19, my result was 23, SMITH Antibodies reference range 0.0-0.9, my result was less than 0.2, RNP Antibodies reference range 0.0-0.9, my result was less than 0.2, Sjogrens SS-A reference range 0.0-0.9, my result was greater than 8.0, Sjogrens SS-B reference range 0.0-0.9, my result was 0.2, RA Qual reference range 0.0-13.9, my result was 8.6 and RA Quan reference range 0-13, my result was 11.  ALL other blood work and UA within normal limits.  Saw rheumatologist on 11-23-10 who stated "positive Sjogrens in correlation with positive Smiths antibody means you  have lupus".  Is SM antibodies and Smith antibodies the same thing?  My symptoms are itchy eyes sometimes gritty feeling but I have been using Artificial Tears Solution for over one month and this has gotten better, right trocanter pain, pain behind right knee to left side (tendon?), pain in outside bone (pinkie side) in left wrist, pain behind bone on right ankle, dry mouth and VERY itchy face.  PLEASE HELP!!!!
Ok, I'll try to answer your questions.  Sm is highly specific for SLE.  Sm stands for Mrs. Smith, in whom it was first described.  It is rarely ever observed in any other disease.  

SSA is present in most patients w/ Sjogren's and 20-30% of those w/ SLE.  But SSB is  seen w/ SSA about 40% of the time.  

Information came from "The Lupus Book" by Dr. Wallace

I know this is a lot to think about.  I'm praying for you.
Kara
One point that you should consider is that the majority of SLE patients have chronic infections, and treatment of these infections has benefited patients considerably.

For example, we studied lupus patients and found that about one-half of them had systemic Mycoplasma infections, especially those with joint pain and arthritis symptoms.  In the cases that we followed, successful treatment of the infection resulted in tremendous improvement in symptoms.  In some patients long-term antibiotic therapy and supplement support resulted in their complete recovery.  So this needs to be considered.

Prof. Garth Nicoslon