Autoimmune Disorders Community
Spontaneous bruising

Spontaneous bruising

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and I woke up this morning with bruises on the backs of my hands and the tops of my feet.  They are sort of shapeless, they don't look like they were from trauma, but I did a fair bit of drinking last night, so it's hard to say for sure.  I'm wondering if the RA, perhaps in combination with the alcohol, could have caused the bruising.
That's difficult to say with any certainty.  If the bruses are from broken blood vessels close to the surface of the skin, they may actually be due to vascular leakage.  In patients with RA, we have found that over one-half have a type of infection called Mycoplasma species that causes vasculitis or inflammation of the blood vessels.  

Patients with this type of infection often bruse easily and usually have other vascular problems, such as heart inflammation, vasculitis, eye problems, etc.

Prof. Garth Nicolson
  • Leg Rash
    For almost a year I have had a rash on my lower leg abov...[more]
  • Link? (2 replies):
    Hello Prof Nicolson and thank you for taking the questio...[more]
  • weird bruises
    hi everyone, i was just curious, does anyone know why...[more]
  • BRUISING (4 replies):
    I have another question. Does anyone have this proble...[more]
  • Bruises (1 replies):
    Do any of you experience bruises that seem to come from ...[more]

Prof. Garth Nicolson