Autoimmune Disorders Community
Spontaneous bruising

Spontaneous bruising

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and I woke up this morning with bruises on the backs of my hands and the tops of my feet.  They are sort of shapeless, they don't look like they were from trauma, but I did a fair bit of drinking last night, so it's hard to say for sure.  I'm wondering if the RA, perhaps in combination with the alcohol, could have caused the bruising.
That's difficult to say with any certainty.  If the bruses are from broken blood vessels close to the surface of the skin, they may actually be due to vascular leakage.  In patients with RA, we have found that over one-half have a type of infection called Mycoplasma species that causes vasculitis or inflammation of the blood vessels.  

Patients with this type of infection often bruse easily and usually have other vascular problems, such as heart inflammation, vasculitis, eye problems, etc.

Prof. Garth Nicolson
  • weird bruises
    hi everyone, i was just curious, does anyone know why...[more]
  • Bruises (1 replies):
    Do any of you experience bruises that seem to come from ...[more]
  • Bruising?? (9 replies):
    Hi all I'm wondering if any of you out there can identi...[more]
  • Link? (2 replies):
    Hello Prof Nicolson and thank you for taking the questio...[more]
  • BRUISING (4 replies):
    I have another question. Does anyone have this proble...[more]

Prof. Garth Nicolson