Autoimmune Disorders Community
Student with Behcet's...I need help!

Student with Behcet's...I need help!

I am in my country for  a couple of months, and through some contacts, I have been seeing a nephrologist (YES, a kidney doctor!) Nothing is wrong with my kidneys but where I come from if you don't have friends who can help you see SOMEBODY, you could die waiting two years to get an appointment with a specialist, right. After reviewing my medical history and examining my symptoms, she diagnosed me with Behcet's, and I will see her again in two weeks. I am also Canadian and I live and study in Canada right now. What I am REALLY worried about is when I get back there in September, I'm not sure what I should do with regards to finding doctors to help me. And I mean doctors who at the mention of 'behcet's' don't have to walk out of the room to consult a book or a site and then come back to ask me 'so um.......do you have joint pain?' and that is the end of the conversation, or make known to me their shock that there are actually people on the planet without either kind of HSV!  I am annoyed because I have finally found a good doctor, who KNOWS her stuff and doesn't hem and haw, but she is not in Canada :(  And you would not BELIEVE the incompetence I have had to deal with. Both she and I are flabbergasted and I am genuinely afraid I won't have anyone to help me. I wish I could tell you all the ridiculous encounters I have had with some doctors eh.

Anyway, I am going into my third year of university and the last two years have been EXTREMELY difficult for me especially since I had no diagnosis and no medication. Actually, they have been UTTER HELL. Being absent from class for one month at a time is not going to be an option if I plan on finishing school in this decade. Now, I have developed inflammation in my feet, so sometimes I can't walk or wear shoes. Because of the mouth sores sometimes all I can eat is juice and  mushy rice once a day for an entire month, sometimes I don't eat at all. I am often iron-anemic and I have frequent nosebleeds. So....well I don't even no what I'm asking. I guess I would like some help...some advice. What do I do when I get back? What kind of doctors should I see? Since sometimes it hampers my ability to attend class or complete assignments, does it qualify as a type of disability so that I should officially notify the school and have it on record? What kind of medication would be prescribed? And to what extent does or could the medication affect daily functioning? I have four more months with this doctor so I think she will help me figure some of this out, but I am looking for info from various sources at this point.

thank you for any advice you might have :)