Autoimmune Disorders Community
TOTALLY PERPLEXED

TOTALLY PERPLEXED

In September 2013 I went to family doctor after several days of achiness in my joints low grade fever and rash on my arms. I had a lot of pain in my hands and arms I remember. My Dr diagnosed me with ParvoB19 said my symptoms sound just like those of adults with it and that it was going around. Honestly I feel like that is the first "event" I remember. I have a history of mouth ulcers(apthous) which my dentist says are an autoimmune type response.  I was diagnosed 17 years ago with anti phospholipid antibody syndrome after several miscarriages and was told that the only time I needed to be concerned about that condition was during pregnancy.  I feel as though since that episode in September 2013 I have definitely struggled with more ulcers in my mouth which are usually helped by prednisone, also lots of fatigue and several days a month that I just don't feel well at all- achy and exhausted. Fast forward to march 2015. Extreme joint pain hands wrists ankles knees low grade fever.  first blood work rheumatoid factor positive 18.0 , low potassium, low iron, metabolic panel normal. Sed rate normal. One week later Sed rate 22 metabolic panel normal temp elevation continues, 3 days later still feeling awful Sed rate 25 positive hep C antibody, AST AND ALT elevated, HIV negative,  initial Lyme test positive as well (1.34) sent out for western blot as well.  Western Blot came back reactive ONLY at 41kd IGM BAND.  And no viral load for hep C and negative hcv Rna. WHAT does all this mean. My hepatologist says I was exposed to hep c and cleared it on my own but why do I have them symptoms!? Is it just coincidental that hep c thing was discovered and it's some other problem im suffering from? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am only 38 years old and feel like I'm 90. I need to figure out what is wrong with me.
1, A healthy thyroid function is dependent on adequate iron levels.
It can become a vicious cycle because, being hypothyroid can result in a lowered production of stomach acid which in turn leads to the malabsorption of iron.
Adequate stomach acid  is also required for the absorption of certain micronutrients, in particular  calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, iron, B12, selenium, boron and so on.
Low stomach acid on the other hand Increases a person's risk of infections.

2. "Primary antiphospholipid syndrome and thyroid involvement"
---Conclusion of study---
Hypothyroidism is present among 22% of PAPS patients and thyroid autoantibodies in 18% of them. These findings suggest a common pathophysiologic mechanism between antiphospholipid syndrome and autoimmune thyroid diseases.

3. "Haematological Parameters and Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis"
---Conclusion of study---
: Frequency of haematinic deficiencies was high in RAS patients. Serum B12 and RBC Folate were significantly low in aphthous group.

4." Prevalence of hypothyroidism in recurrent pregnancy loss in first trimester"
---Conclusion of study---
“The study found that even mild thyroid dysfunction could greatly increase the risk of serious problems. Women with mild thyroid dysfunction had double the risk of miscarriage, premature labor or low birth weight as compared to pregnant women with normal thyroid function. They also had seven times greater risk of still birth.”

5."Maternal thyroid deficiency and pregnancy
complications: implications for population screening"
---Conclusion of study---
In the Journal of Medical Screening, researchers in a large study of 9,400 pregnant women demonstrated that pregnant women with hypothyroidism had a second trimester miscarriage risk four times the risk of women who were not hypothyroid.

6.The normal SED rate range is 0-22 mm/hr for men and 0-29 mm/hr for women, however the reference range of your lab could be different.

7. As far as thyroid testing goes, the most indicative & accurate for cellular thyroid function are: Free T3 (fT3), Free T4 (fT4) AND Reverse T3 (rT3)
All 3 are needed!  rt3 is usually not covered by insurance.
  fT3/rT3 ratio is probably the most reliable marker for low cellular thyroid function. A ratio of over 20 is desirable.
My suggestion is to totally forgo the standard thyroid tests TSH, T3 and T4.

8. Do you know why your  potassium levels are low? Has this been addressed? You may want to look into tissue magnesium. If low it would
explain the low potassium.
A trial of Transdermal Magnesium Oil may be warranted. Just look it up.

9. Regarding the  41kd IGM BAND, were there any symbols on the lab report, like + symbols? They are important details.
**41kda++  This might indicate Lyme or might be another infection.
**41 kda  + This band indicates that part of the protein in the bacteria's little whiplike tail was found.  It can mean Lyme, or it can mean another bacterium that also has that same kind of 'tail' !

10. Usually the normal range for the rheumatoid factor test is reported as:
Less than 40-60 u/mL
Less than 1:80 (titer)
Can you post your lab's ref. range and units of measure?

11. Some people who get infected with Hepatitis C are able to clear the virus on their own. Your hepatologist is likely correct.
" no viral load for hep C and negative hcv Rna" means you are Hepatitis C
free!

12.   If I were you I would seek a reputable Functional medicine, Holistic or Naturopathic Doctor to facilitate proper healing for you.
Many of your issues, should have been resolved a long time ago.

Best wishes,
Niko