Taking NSAIDS and Nexium as Well
I know that there are some Doctors that prescribe Nexium (or other ppi) for those that are taking NSAIDS regularly and are having stomach discomfort. My question is two-part. What problem is the NSAID creating, and what is it that the Nexium is doing to counteract it?

Thank-you,
Patrick R.
Dear Tooleey:

I will take a shot at sharing what my GI told me. As a patient I'm sure he kept it simple for me. He told me to take the Nexium when ever I had to take NASIDS. He said that Nexium started working very quickly and that it helped with the problems that NASID caused.

NASIDS can cause bleeding, pits or holes in the stomach with long term use, and that the Nexium reduces acid and heals the pits or holes in the stomach lining.
He also said that eating food before taking the NASID helped with long term problems. Tylenol just never did it for me, and I just the NASID instead.
Hope this makes sense, maybe someone else can explain it better.

elbamom
I forgot to mention that the GI doc also said that liquid NASIDS were better for the stomach than the tabs.
Hope you are doing well.

elbamom