Temporal arteritis or something else?
My mum is suffering has been suffering from severe headaches on the right hand side of her head behind her eye for several months.  She was admitted to A&E and the initial diagnosis was temporal arteritis.  She had urine BJPs to rule out multiple myeloma and split screen showed nothing abnormal for her age.  She has had an artery biopsy and the results were negative (her ESR is now 8, wasn't high when she want to A&E).  Any opinions greatly received.  
I would ask the doctor if the biopsy is definitively a negative for that diagnosis. Certain tests may be negative at certain times, but not actually conclusively rule out that it might not be positive another time. Does that make sense?

There are so many possibilities for causes for severe headaches. How old is your mom?
Could she be going through menopause and experiencing drastic hormonal shifts?

If her sed rate is elevated (esr) could she be having neck inflammation/pain that is causing the headaches? (I get horrible ha's from my neck arthritis.) Or even tmj inflammation? (Of course the elevated esr would support the temporal arteritis dx as well I believe.)