Autoimmune Disorders Community
Two odd observations

Two odd observations

Hi!  If you have seen my prior post, I won't bore with rehash.  I am wondering about a couple of things.  First, I can't smell things anymore.  I used to be hypersensitive to smells, so this is DEFINITELY unusual.  I hadn't really noticed til I spilled rubbing alcohol and couldn't smell it at all.  Anyone have this or heard about it with autoimmune illnesses?

Also, at my physical, had a pap done & it came back slightly abnormal.  Which got me to thinking, was it related to already being in menopause?  Started looking and saw that I actually had premature menopause, with last period at 38/39.  Reading about it, I wonder why that had never caused my dr to at least raise an eyebrow...and my research tells me that 70% of cases of P.M. that don't have an obvious cause such as chemo or hysterectomy are actually related to autoimmune disorders.  So now I am wondering if it might actually be something different than fibro?

Lisa
Hi Lisa!
Well, at times premature menopause is without a cause, especially if your mother, maternal aunts or grandmother suffered an early menopause. At times it is due to hypothyroidism (can be autoimmune too as in Hashimotos), lupus, polycystic ovary and other hormonal disturbances. In this case, yes, there can be loss of smell due to damage to nerve endings. So, yes, it is important to get a complete autoimmune panel and test for other disorders mentioned above. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum.  I am always amazed at Dr. Mathurs answers.  We are blessed to have him visit from time to time.  Love reading his replies.  

I know that doctors look at the big picture when making a diagnosis.  Is loss of smell and early menopause the only symptoms you are having?  

I think the assessment on the early menopause and autoimmune disease is interesting.  I'm 50+ and have yet to go into menopause and it doesn't look like it will come any time soon, but have been dx w/ connective tissue disease and was verbally told I had lupus and fibromyalgia.  Just thought it was an interesting thought that I had not thought about.
No history of early premature menopause in my family.  In fact, grandmother had such heavy periods they did a hysterectomy when she was in her 40s.  My mother was into her 50s before menopause.  One aunt had breast cancer at 38 and menopause as a result.  

Karajo, no these are far from the only symptoms I am having.  I have a long post elsewhere on the forum, when I first joined.  Right now, just impatiently waiting for rheumatologist appt on 19th.  Too many symptoms for too long...and now my ability to function has been impaired enough that I finally can't deny it anymore. :(

Thanks!
Lisa
I looked to see a list of symptoms on a previous post, but couldn't find one.  If you would, bring me up to date on your symptoms.  Thanks.
Hi!  Since my post was so long, here is the link to it... http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Fibromyalgia/New-and-need-advice-Long---sorry/show/1881423#post_8741304

Let me add to it that I am always cold, regardless of whether others are comfortable or hot. Hands are always cold to the touch.  And I have numbness/tingling in toes, fingers, even the tip of my tongue occasionally.  And memory lapses affected my ability to remember student names & a coworker told me about a seating chart app that allows me to add student pictures.  My iPad is in my hands all day at school now so I can call on students w/o struggling for names!
Oh...that is the link to the post people replied to.  I also had posted on this board but got no replies, so easy to miss.
Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to you.  I read your post and Niko's reply.  He is much more knowledgable than I could ever be.  I agree that your system was probably overloaded w/ infection after infection and didn't have time to recover.  If you can't see a NP dr. I suggest you do your own research.  Some think that might be scarry, but there are natural things that can build your immunity and there are web sites where you can check for drug interactions that might occur w/ herbs and vitamins.  I also suggest you build your health back w/ things we all know to do.  Really, we all know the right food to eat and that water is essential to good health.  Many of these things are just plain common sense.  Only YOU can take charge of your health.  

Low cholesterol can be an indicator of poor health.  I wish you the best and pray that God will lead and guide you as you search for answers.  You have 3 precious children who need their momma.