Autoimmune Disorders Community
VITILIGO R/T THYROIDISM

VITILIGO R/T THYROIDISM

I have Vitiligo,IBS,Chronic Fatigue Syndrone (Mono),Diverticulitis, Ulcers, and have Had H-Pyloric in the past.I go from Hot to Cold all the time and this keeps my BP up and down like a yoyo. I had the blood test one time for my Thyroid, but it was WNL. My daughter has Graves disease and has gone into a Thyroid Crisis once and we almost lost her.My grand daughter has HypoThyroidism. I read all 10 symptoms of Thyroidism and I experience all 10 of them.My Dr. doesn't here me, He always wants to give me nerve meds for my nerves, Please help.......what should I do next, can the blood test be normal and me still have a Thyroid condition? Thank you for your time and consideration.
"can the blood test be normal and me still have a Thyroid condition?" - YES

Usually the case is only TSH was tested. - you need the actual hormones tested T3 and T4. And the ranges for all three is just an average for the population. Meaning, no one knows what your actual ranges were before a thyroid disorder has started. Chances are it was not in the 'low end' of the range.

Although TSH is the most popular blood test's it is inaccurate. TSH also changes per hour.  What you  need to detect low thyroid is what is called 'Free T3 and Free T4'. Many suffer for years as modern doctors are reluctant to use these tests first in order to save money. And you need to be in the mid ranges or higher, as most are sick in the low end of the so called 'acceptable' ranges, a new subject of controversy world wide.

Note there is hypothyroid, that can be corrected sometimes med free, and there is Hashimoto hypothyroid with antibodies that requires thyroid hormone replacement (pill) every day for life.

Many that had these tests do not understand the interpretation, as many health professionals do not either. Many are said to be fine in the firsts stages, but if they had thyroid antibody testing along with the above mentioned, that could possibly revile thyroid disease has started.
If you have further thyroid questions, go to the medhelp thyroid forum on this site. Thyroid is not as simple as many presume.
Thank you so much for the info, Very helpful,I will now insist on more blood test.
I totally agree with Lazymoose.

I have had Graves Disease for 12 years, and i find most doctors test the thyroid by the TSH, which is a load of rubbish. That is a pituarity blood test. There are also many things which can change it, and i also feel being a thyroid sufferer, that endocrinologists which test your thyroid function by this test, shouldnt have a job.

They usually leave the thyroid sufferer, suffering unduly. thats my rant.

Right back to you.
You need Free T3, and Free T4, doing along with the thyroid antibodies.
This is a simple bloodtest, and you should have been offered this with your family history, so dont let them fob you off.

I have also found many thyroid sufferers, suffering because they are just fit into the band off hypo, and once treatment is started there symptoms, are usually removed.

If you have the blood results, post them and im sure we can advice on what to test next.

I suffered years with being told i had anxiety, only to find out i had Graves disease, and i ended up having surgery twice.

Dont suffer in silence, get further thyroid testing, and always mention your family thyroid issues, when asking .

Good Luck
Good answer Lazymoose.
Nicola
I totally agree with Lazymoose.

Right back to you.

Good Luck
Good answer Lazymoose.
Nicola
I am coming back here.

I have vitiligo, which came with my Graves Disease,
So I am saying you must definately get the Thyroid Antibodies done for Graves Disease, and Hashimotos.
As vitiligo tends to come alongside the Auto-Immune Thyroid Diseases, those being Graves/ Hashimotos.

The antibodies might be high?

Nicola
Forgot to mention - I also have vitiligo, that was a visual well before I was tested for high TPO and TGab antibodies, which confirmed Hashimoto autoimmune thyroid disease. Mother had it also. What I did not know at the time is the elevated antibodies come before most of the symptoms, but this is the last thing doctors test, sometimes never.

Then I was treated for ten years only on a T4 thyroid med by docs using TSH for adjusting med levels. Those ten years I was still very sick. Then I unsisted on Free T3 and Free t4 testing. I had to go to many doctors before I found one that did not hold my health hostage to the TSH test. TSH is a joke. Now I tell them what to do. The result? I feel way better.

The inventions of modern testing devices has led to a lack of diagnosing skills that old school doctors relied on. Same with car mechanics LOL, the two are alike that way.

T3 T4, or Total T3 T4 is not what you need. The tests are specifically called "Free T3 and Free T4". If the doc says otherwise, you are wasting your time and money. The 'free' means what hormone is free or 'available' for cell use presently floating in the blood stream.

Take care.