Autoimmune Disorders Community
Vitiligo treatments?

Vitiligo treatments?

I have an 18 yr old son who was diagnosed with Vitiligo when he was 11. Until this past year it was mostly on his joints (knuckles, elbows, kness) but has not started to spread to his trunk and groin area. We took him to a dermatologist and he had us try a topical steroid. It had no effect. I have been told that there really aren't any treatments available.

What types of treatment are available and/or effective?

I had no idea that vitiligo was an autoimmune disorder until very recently. My mother has lupus, my brother has juvenile diabetes and my 13 yr old daughter has Hashimoto's. My mother's sister, who also had vitiligo, developed an autoimmune liver disease that required her to have a transplant. I am more than a little concerned about the chances of other disorders popping up in my children.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Hi.  I was recently diagnosed with some vitiligo in my groin area (sorry for too much information.)     Just letting you know, my dermotologist prescribed a topical cream called Protopic.   I'm looking into it now and haven't begun using until I know more.  But apparently there has been some success with it.  

Good luck.

I've had Vitiligo since the age of 10 and am now 53, so basically, most of my life. The only treatment that I had some success with was UVA and later UVB light treatments at the dermatologist's office. You take a drug before hand which makes the melanin in the skin hypersensetive to the UVA light.  The treatment does not work well on boney areas, like fingers, elbows, knees, feet etc.  Works pretty well on areas like the face, that has a subcutaneous layer of fat. Has something to do with the amount of melanin available. This treatment will also likely stop progression, like it did mine. And it did a great job of repigmenting my face and areas of my legs and torso.   Another drug that could hault progression is Enbrel,  which is used for Rheumatoid Arthritis and Psoriasis, both autoimmune disorders, can may also work to slow down the progression of Vitiligo. It's important to stop it though, because most likely it will continue to get worse, at least for some time.
I started to have vitilgo since 2 yrs ago, that is also when hypothyroidism reared its ugly head.  I will make sure that my doctor have all the drug info. you mentioned.

Thank you.
Kit.