Autoimmune Disorders Community
What do i have?....help...anyone...

What do i have?....help...anyone...

i am 40 yr. old female.....had one baby boy in 5/2009 and another baby boy in jan 2011.....had some liver function tests done due to being diagnosed with preeclampsia 10 days after delivery........all were high.....have since been re-tested and re-tested and re-tested.....lft's have fallen and then went back up......current are AST=50...ALT=63....AP=143....GGT=172........i have also tested positive for ANA and AMA and had a total thyroidectomy due to thyroiditis in March of 2011 (was discovered during tests that were run when i was in the hospital for preclampsia)............doc's are telling me i more than likey have primary biliary cirhosis............i do not have any symptoms....also had a ultrasound of pancreas, gallbladder and liver in April 0f 2011 which showed unremarkable results....i am now scheduled for a liver biopsy on the 20th of June (CT guided)....any advice or help would be appreciated.....i am scared and confused.........also do i get exposed to radiation from the liver biopsy? and does it hurt?....the doc office has not told me anything about it....the scheduling of the biopsy has been rather sudden.........
This is certainly not my expertice.  But I do know there is an autoimmune hepatitis.  But it is certainly baffleing that you do not have any symptoms.  What was your ANA level and pattern?

I can't answer if you are exposed to radiation when they do a biopsy.  I would think they need some way to guide the needle.....maybe ultrasound????

Sweetie, I'm praying for you.  All of this must be very scarry.  
Thank you for the reply! I don't seem to be getting answers from anyone lately, including my doctors........My ANA level was 1:40 in March and is a speckled pattern.....my AMA was 1:40 in March and is 1:80 now
Your ANA levels are really low and are probably considered not relevant.  I am not familar w/ AMA.

I looked up the possiblities that could cause these readings to be elevated.
Liver disease, fatty liver, cirrhosis, obstructive jaundice, mononeucleosis, skeletal muscle diseases (myositis and muscular dystrophy), trauma pancreatitis, renal infarct, eclampsia, cancer, cerebral damage, seizures, alcohol use, heart tissue disease (heart attacks, pericarditis), infections in the bloodstream, intramuscular injections, corticosteroids, primidone, antibiotics and other drugs processed through the liver.  Hemolysis (ruptured red cells from impoper handling of the blood) can raise AST levels.  

Please keep us posted.  I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this, especially when you shoud be enjoying your sweet baby.

God bless
Thanks for the info.!..........i believe the doc's are leaning toward primary biliary cirhosis and autoimmune hepatitis...doc's are telling me that is what a positive AMA(anti-mitochondrial antibodies) indicate 98% of the time........lovely diagnosis to possibly have....i could be dead quickly and there is not a thing i can do about it.......oh well, I guess i will wait and see what the biopsy results indicate....it just seems bizzare that i have a baby and then become some type of walking auto-immune disease factory....on the bright side, the liver biopsy was practically painless, to be quite honest, when the tape (that held the IV on my arm) was pulled off was the most painful part.....
jilal,

I am so sorry for what your going through.  I know many of us on this forum are dealing with some odd and unusual stuff.  Please do not give up any hope until you get a firm diagnosis, and then do not give up hope.  

Autoimmune issues do come after childbirth and kids.  My issues began when my son was about 1.5yrs old.  I think our bodies just get so worn out from not sleeping, caring for a baby we are not wonderwoman.  And things break down.... While you are waiting one thing to do is just take good care of yourself and get very good rest.  Also ask about a good suppliment from your doctor if you are allowed.  There are some liver support herbs but again you need to ask your doc about them.  He probably will be reluctant until they get a firm diagnosis on you.

Thoughts and prayers are with you!
Just checking to see if you have gotten the results from the liver biopsy.  

I think it is good that you are not having any symptoms.  

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Hello!  Yes, I did get the path. report, but i have not yet seen the doctor to go over the results.  I have one appt. with the gastro. doc. who ordered liver biopsy next week, and another appt. with a hepatologist in Pittsburgh,PA ( I'm about 2 hours away) 2 days after the first appt. ( I kinda want someone else to also look at the bloodwork and biopsy results)..........from what i can interpret, the report is diagnosing me with primary biliary cirhosis (Stage I)....it appears that damage to my bile ducts has started, but is still confined to that area (I guess that is supposed to be the positive in all of this)...what is not clear in the report is whether i also have autoimmune hepatitis...my gastro. doc stated he "thinks" i do.......the path report is reccommending more bloodwork.........i thought a biopsy would be able to confirm something like that??? anyways, it is apparently important to know because i believe the treatment of the 2 conditions is different......i think you take some type of bear bile drug with little or no side effects for the pbc, but for the aih, you take steriods and antiviral immunosuppresents with lots of lovely side effects...like the side effects are so bad that they alone could kill you...........if you or anyone else has any knowledge or insight in regards to this, it is much appreciated........Oh well........I hope i will learn more next week..........Also, how easy is it to get  a liver transplant.........how many people die from not getting one?