What does all this mean?
My doctor gave me a blood test on certain things in my blood and an ANA that has to do with the immune system. She is referring me to a rheumatologist since the ANA came back 'positive'. I can't imagine what could be the problem. People talk about arthritis and I don't hurt. I get little pains like everybody else now and then. I DO have hypothyroidism and have been on levothyroxine for over three years. I take other meds for heart arrythmias, anxiety, and depression. The only thing I can say I do have for years and wasn't checked is the twitches and popping sensations under my skin-like maybe in my nerves which sounds like a nerve disorder. My legs feel heavy sometimes but that is usually during PMS or menses. That is caused by retaining water. I get tired easily and that was another reason for her concern. I am not anemic-the test results showed. I don't understand any of these 'autoimmune diseases' I don't have symptoms of any of these. So I am not understanding why. I have mild neuro fibro mitosis. I also go to a specialists for my heart and that is fine other than irregular beats. So right now I am ignorant and all of this seems ridiculous.
Hi, ANA means anti-nuclear antibody. This test measures the amount of antibodies which can attack our bodies' own tissues. In autoimmune diseases, our immune system gets confused and attacks own tissues as if they were foreign material.

A positive ANA can be indicative of many autoimmune diseases including Lupus, Scleroderma, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Sjögren's Syndrome, and can also be present on non-rheumatoid diseases such as Hashimoto's, Diabetes type I and others.

However, having a positive ANA does not mean that you have an autoimmune disease, so the best thing to do is see your rheumathologist who will probably order further autoantibody testing to see if you have an autoimmune disease and will make a diagnosis based on these results and your symptoms.

Hope this helps. Take care.