Autoimmune Disorders Community
What does dry eyes feel or look like?

What does dry eyes feel or look like?

I guess my question is, how do you know if you have dry eyes? I mean do they burn, have pain, are red, or what do they feel and look like?
I have Sjogren's, which causes dry eyes.  Mine aren't too bad.  Sometimes I have trouble fixing my focus when I look from near to far, or just focusing, period.  When they're really bad, it feels like there is sand in them.  Mostly, they just get tired.  I find myself closing them all the time.  Hope this helps!
See mine are always feeling as if I have looked at a computer screen all day though I haven't...like they've been open for too long or something. So I always want to close them cuz it hurts to keep them open. Also they have some pain that can be just tired feeling(like overworked) or can be burning occasionally, but mostly just tired like they've been open all day. Also, my eyes turn red like i have a red dot in the white of my eye near the part of the eye closest to the nose and I don't know why. So I keep thinking it may be bc my eyes might be dry?And I see floaters in both eyes and have trouble seeing both near and far due to blurry vision. So do u think any of these symptoms sound like I have dry eyes?
There is a test that eye doctors can do that takes just seconds, and will answer your question definitively.  Why not make an apt. for a full eye-exam and find out then, from a doctor, whether or not they are dry.  There are meds to take to "wet" your eyes, so if you do get that diagnosis, not to worry.  It's an easy problem to resolve.
I had a apt with opthomologist last month but I don't think he tested for dry eyes. At least I know he didn't do the Schirmer's test and I don't even know if he did the slit-lamp test. I went in and asked for a complete eye exam, but did not ask if my eyes were dry. And he didn't tell me they were dry, BUT I really don't think he did either of those tests though. I know he didn't put paper things in my eye(Schirmer's test). Do they normally do the slit-lamp test when you go in for a complete eye exam? Why didn't he do the Schirmer's test? Do you have to ask for that? So therefore I don't know if I have dry eyes or not bc I feel like I haven't gotten the right tests for it to see if I do or not...
I went to the doctor when I noticed that my eyes were tearing non stop. That is one of the main symptoms since your eyes don't produce adequate lipids to keep your eyes moist. Tearing in the morning and late evenings is most common. Of course, the Schimmer's test? If that's it is fairly defininitive.
Dry eyes can really hurt.  I have a history of painful dry eyes. I did not know what it was until I started going to my optomatrist (sp?) and looking at getting that lasik eye surgery.  I wore contacts before that and thought maybe it was the contacts that were irritating my eyes until my eye doctor informed me I had severely dry eyes. I would and sometimes still get headache and eye pain. The whole eyeball hurts, and for me, it made me feel nauseated, I think from the pain.  But...it is hard to tell what is going on until someone else has been through it and knows the symptoms, or you go to your eye doc.  
I am going to a optometrist this week to try to get a prescription for glasses(the one the opthomologist gave me was wrong and didn't correct my vision any). Can an Optometrist give me the Schirmer eye test and the slit-lamp test? Or is that only something an opthomologist can do? I was hoping the optometrist could do these tests and tell me whether or not I have dry eyes...?
How did the optometrist you went to know that you had dry eyes? Did he/she do the Schirmer test or slit-lamp test or how did they know that?