Autoimmune Disorders Community
What is going on?

What is going on?

Dr. Nicolson, I am a nurse; my husband is a physician.  But, we have no idea what is happening here.  We have three adult children pos/Igenex for lyme. One with cyclic neck/shoulder spasm, another with dysautonomia, another almost died with a second incidence of post-partum DIC.
My question to you is: As I look at all the refs on this site and others, almost all of the symptoms and syndromes overlap. The lyme people call it Lyme, the MS people call it MS......but, is our nose too close to the ground when we identify it so narrowly? What is the larger picture, as you look at it? Lives are being lost and people are hurting because we, in medicine, hold so tenaciously to what may be a sinking ship......but, where should we look for truth? Is it nanobacteria, poor nutrition, toxic load, EMF's...

Patty
From my 35 years of experience as a professor teaching medical students, researcher in cancer, chronic illnesses and neurodegenerative diseases, publishing 600 papers and reviews and 15 books, medical journal editor and associate editor, and a patient myself-- I have come to the conclusion that chronically ill patients with complex, multi-symptom, multi-dx problems usually have several reasons for their problems, and in most cases these defy simple dx AND simple treatments.  This may be the reason that patients bounce around from physician to physician, and while correcting some of their problems, they are still left with considerable morbidity and few or no answers to their questions.

If there is any simple lesson to be gleaned from all this, it is that the more severe and complex the signs/symptoms--the more factors that seem to be involved and need to be addressed before recovery can be achieved.  Notice that I use the term "recovery" rather than "cure" because I am unsure that most chronic illness patients are ever completely cured of their complex conditions or diseases, although they certainly can recover to the point where they can begin to lead a normal life again.  I realize that it is extremely difficult for most physicians to take a global approach to their most complex patients' problems, and their specialty Boards might not be very sympathetic to such approaches if they used them.  These are my thoughts about the general problem, and they may or may not apply to individual cases.