Autoimmune Disorders Community
Widespread Tendonitis

Widespread Tendonitis

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 yrs ago by an endocrine nurse.  I was put on 50 mcg Synthroid.  I was also given a low dose of prednisone and cabergoline due to high levels of androgens and prolactin.

A year later,  I visited an Endocrinologist who diagnosed me with PCOS and idiosyncratic hypothyroidism, as well as Vit D deficient.  She now has me on Metformin, Synthroid, Birth control and 2000 IU Vitamin D3.

Also I've been recently diagnosed with moderate psoriasis with corticoid steroid cream as needed..

My problem, here recently, is widespread tendonitis.  I have it in both ankles, left hamstring, and the chest.  

Could this be caused by any of the issues mentioned above?

Or is it coincidence?

The higher in the FT3 range that the T3 is, the less tendonitis you will most likely have. T3 should be eqaul to or higher than T4 and in the upper third of the range. This is difficult for some to achieve on a T4 med only. Why they have T3 supplimental  meds also.

Thyroid med also depletes the body of Magnesium. Soft tissue needs Magnesium. Any magnesium but mag oxide will make muscles and possibly tendons feel better. Been there.
Psoriasis and tendon trouble could mean proriatic arthritis, tendonitis and enthesitis are very common in psoriatic arthritis and they are all auto immune. Blood tests are often normal and xrays wont help unless there is already damage done. A rheumatologist is the doc to make the diagnosis.
I know your comment was posted quite some time ago, but I am hoping you are still interested in this topic. I am currently doing research to try to identify similar correlations.  

I have had psoriasis since I was a child and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18. Since then I have had many flare ups of seeminly autoimmune problems. For example, I developed Irritable Bowl Syndrome about 8 years  ago, but stopped exhibiting symptoms a couple years later. I also regularly develop unexplainable rashes that dissappear just as unexplainably as they appear. I suffer from migraine headaches and was diagnosed with "complicated migraine" though I haven't exhibited symptoms since my first attacks.

I now have multiple connective tissue injuries, one severe enough (tenosyvitis of the posterior tibia) that I have to get surgery, but none can be tied to specific traumatic injury.

Seeminly if all of these things are tied together there should be some kind of therpay, treatment or diet change that could address them all, but I can't figure out what that might be.

Have you had any questions answered since your post a couple years ago? Can you give any advice.?

Lisa
Hi Lisa,

No, I haven't really had a medical answer to my question.  What has helped with the tendonitis has been the magnesium, as mentioned previously, foam rolling, and gentle stretching every day.  Also, diet and and a slow but steady increase in exercise, which includes swimming has helped.

As far as any other issue that I have, they are too various and random to mention.  You might however check for gluten sensitivity or celiacs, or even a dairy or soy sensitivity..

Another starting point could be looking at family health histories, current and past.  Could either point to something to get tested for or a lifestyle to try.  For example, diabetes and heart disease run on both sides of my family; mom's side shows histories of sickle cell anemia, rheumatoid arthritis, diverticulitis, cancer; dad's side shows histories of thyroid, crohns disease, celiac disease.

Those histories cover various levels of grandparents, cousins, and aunts/uncles.  Regardless of medications involved, with the exception of the cancer incidents, they all had to change their diet and activity levels.

So, I've cut way back on wheat, grains and breads in general, upped my vegetable/fruit level, and eat a serving size portion of animal proteins with each meal.  I also read a lot of labels.  I only have 20 lbs to lose, but I don't think my system can handle the extra weight very well, so im working on it.  

All in all, it hasn't completely stopped the randomness, but I do feel better  and feel I can cope better when something does go wonky.

I'm sorry for the long windedness, but I hope that some of this help, and that you can find your answers.  Regardless, be patient and kind to yourself.  and in times of frustrations, I find the beach or a trail helps me decompress, even if only for a little.