Autoimmune Disorders Community
Worried about Autoimmune Disease...

Worried about Autoimmune Disease...

I saw a hematologist after some unusual test results over the past 3-4 years. Namely, elevations in my blood cell counts, low #'s of certain factors on the CBC panel, and most recently a VERY elevated CRP (mine was 14, normal is 5). All of these tests were done at times I was NOT ill or suffering from an infection! Currently, I am experiencing no identifiable symptoms and generally feel fine. The doctor said he doesn't think it’s cancer or autoimmune or leukemia. However, he ordered some more tests  (e.g. ANA, protein, iron). I'm no doctor, but based on some of my own internet research a few of the results are VERY concerning to me…

Here is an excel document that tracks my test results (normal and otherwise) over the past few years: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgku477424z0v7j/lab%20results%20over%20the%20years.xlsx (can provide reference ranges upon request)

The doctor's decision was to refer me for ultrasound of my spleen. I’m VERY worried about the test results and he hasn't addressed them with me at all. In fact, he is out of the country until my follow up with him in two weeks!

Essentially, I am wondering the following big questions:
     * Could I have an autoimmune disease, and if so, which one seems most likely?
     * Why would my doctor suggest an ultrasound of the spleen rather an a follow up blood test?
     * If I was to INSIST on a follow up blood test, what should I request? (e.g. what's the test name/what are they looking for)

MORE INFO: (not sure if related or helpful)
     * I have a previous d(x) of PCOS, unsure if related.
     * Currently on Birth control for PCOS, Simvastatin for high cholesterol, and Omeprazole for acid reflux.
     * In May, began taking 45 mg slow release Iron daily at request of internal medicine doc.
     * Considered obese by BMI and have lost 25 lbs since January (currently 215 lbs, height 5'4) **NOTE: weight loss is intentional through all-natural diet aids.**
Hi!
Any disease running in your stepdad’s family cannot affect you as there is no blood relation. Elevated blood counts, high CRP etc can be due to a chronic inflammation, a dental problem, arthritis, an autoimmune disease or a bone marrow problem. Sometimes high spleen activity can cause this.  
Monocytosis or high monocyte count is seen in subacute bacterial endocarditis, syphilis,  viral infections, kala azar, malaria, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, IBS, lipid storage diseases, sarcoidosis etc.  Since you have high triglycerides and cholesterol, lipid storage diseases and risk of heart disease should be looked into. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Well yes, I know my stepdad's biology and family history have no bearing on mine. I actually was talking about his family history in the sense of why I am scared to have it be autoimmune and have to break the news to them about it. Not whether I inherited something :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I meet with the doctor next week and have my ultrasound then as well. I really hope he can clarify his diagnostic picture for both me and him. The whole it could be nothing, it could be something relatively harmless you already know about, or it could be life impacting or a prodromal something or other is NOT helping me to keep calm until that appointment. I should never have googled....

I will try to update the post when I know more in case it might help someone else :)