Autoimmune Disorders Community
alopecia universalis

alopecia universalis

I was diagnosed with alopecia universalis last March this year. I am taking steriod which i being tapered by my doctor until now... the good thing is after one month of taking steriod med my hairs grew back. My question is.... since this disease is believed to be autoimmune.. what should i expect after stopping the steriods? BTW, i have diabetes type 1..that is why i am asking what if it is already time to stop the steriod... will my hairs be falling again???? and what are the side effects of stopping from steriod????? thank you so much.. I am really worried because I am trying to apply for some work..
Hi!

It is a tough situation to be in. Taking steroids may control your hairloss but is likely to worsen diabetes, cause lowering of bone mineral density and increase in weight. Apart from setroids,  immunomodulatory drugs such as imiquimod can be tried, but they increase the risk of infection especially since you also have diabetes. What is important is that since the hair follicles do not die in this disorder, the hair will eventually grow back. You need to discuss this with your doctor to strike a balance between the two autoimmune disorders you have. Take care!
I,m pharmacist and suffering from alopecia uni since 10 years
First of all , I hope a good prognosis for you
Unfortunately , you may find some response with cortisone but we cannot tolerate it for long time therefor when you stop you will lose the hair again
The long term use of cortisone  with high doses may leads to worsen your diabetes and weight gain also you may suffer from weakness of muscle
And loss of sleep ( I suffered from all)
From experiences the best therapy is cosmetic and support

Maen addassi
***@****
Amman
Jordan
Thank you so much for your responses. I am taking steroid once a day right now and maybe the nextmonth ill be just taking it every other day. I just hope the effect will last a little longer just to make me prepared for the hair falls again. If only i dont have dm type 1.... But i guess everything happens for a reason even its so difficult to handle. Cosmetics could really do alot..i might try fitting one..