Autoimmune Disorders Community
blue hands and feet

blue hands and feet

My dad is sick with stomach cancer and other problems, but an unrelated problem has occured in his hands and feet.  His toes are painful and his hands and feet are blue and cold.  His blood is circulating well, so say the hematologists,so they don't think it's ischemia.  The internal medicine docs believe that it is autoimmune in nature, the body is depositing something in the hands and feet (and the brain - he is having major confusion).  Anyone ever heard of this?  Autoimmune problems run in our family - including my dad's mom and his daughter (me).

Tags: hand, feet, blue
It sounds like Raynaud's Phenomenon.  It is an autoimmune disease.  My wife was diagnosed recentely.  Hopefully this helps!
Have they checked all of you for hemachromatosis(too much iron) and polycythemia To much red blood cells?
May I ask if your Dad is taking coumadin?  Coumadin can cause something called purple toe syndrome.  It is when cholesteral deposits become dislodged and go to the toes, and I suppose the fingers.  I am not an expert, and maybe not accurate but I take coumadin and have noticed that my toes are turning purple.
If your Dad is not taking coumadin, I am not sure if it can be caused by other medical conditions.  I know with purple toe due to coumadin it is recommended that the patient stop the medication.  I am not sure how possible that is in most cases.  
I just hope your Dad can have some relief.  I am so sorry he is dealing with so much.  It sounds like you are a great and caring son.
Good luck!
It really does sound like Raynaud's Syndrome.  Yes, it is autoimmune and I have a severe case of it.  I'm not supposed to even get ice cubes out of the freezer without gloves on.  The blue/purple at least for me is happens after some of my fingers have turned completly white.  No circulation, then if I run them under hot water they will get that purple blue.  I'm not supposed to do that either so don't do it.  Try for a day or two (if the doc says ok) mittens and good socks.  He can't even pick up a cold can of coke or anything.  If it settles down, you know it is Reynauds.  Here in St Louis, it is getting cold out and I know I better get those mittens out!  God Bless with the stomach cancer and everything.  Your family is going through so much - stay close.