Autoimmune Disorders Community
can vitiligo be sign of autoimmune disease with more symptoms

After pushing my doctor for more tests he did some and the ANA screen came back bad I guess. He sad I would see and endo ? doctor but the referral I got in the mail is at the arthritis center so I don't know what they think I have.

I am 39 and have too many symptoms. It started with hair loss 4 yrs ago which all the doctors and dermatologist have blown off my concerns. About 1 1/2 yrs ago during my pregnancy I got these quarter size white spots along my hip that I figured were stretch marks. In my 8th month of pregnancy a new doctor questioned me about those spots during my pregnancy checkup. He said it looked like what Michael Jackson had and to get it checked out if it didn't go away. About 6 months ago little white spots appeared on my hands. They are now on my inner legs, under my arm and last week I noticed it on the anus. I have been to my pcm who like the other doctors said it can be caused by pregnancy, nursing, etc. I went to the dermatologist who told me it was vitiligo but said there's not test to proove it.  My forehead looks sundamaged. I have an itchy rash on my right arm and it feels like sandpaper.

In Feb I my knee hurt so bad I couldn't lift it. They said I tore a little muscle from doing my richard simmons video. I didn't do anything I haven't done in the past 15 yrs. My left knee still aches sometimes if i turn it the wrong way and it's been 7 months. My left elbow hurts. I only lift up to 10 pounds and the left one hurts all the time but not the right one. I think I have loss of feeling on parts of my back. When I scratch, it feels different than other parts.

I also have swollen lymph nodes in my chest. I went for ultrasound and t hey said I had some swollen under the arm too. They can't do a mammogram because I'm nursing. I also just found out I'm pregnant so I hope whatever this is, they find out and it's not too bad.

The hair loss started 4 yrs ago when we lived in old military housing. My daughters started losing hair. My new baby had many respirtory infections. No doctor would listen that something in the house was causing this so I bought my own mold test. I went the the congressman's and senator's office with my proof and the base took out the mold after we had been living there 1 1/2 yrs. I don't know what type of mold it was and they didn't cover our furniture or make us leave the house. They hung plastic, opened the ceiling, took out the mold and sealed it up without checking to see if they got it all. Our symptoms kept on in the house so I bought an expensive radon tester. Our radon was so high they told us to leave that night or we were accepting those radon levels. They put a radon reduction system in. At the hotel on base, immediately the baby breathed better. It wasn't raspy. It was so quiet we checked on him. I have video of his breathing both places. we were there a long time and I started growing new short pieces of hair on the head. They allowed us to go back when they were done and our symptoms started. I researched many hours for some other tests I could buy that would test for chemicals that might be in there but couldn't find any tests. We left that base over a year ago and live off base. I get new hair g rowth because you can see t sticking up an inch but I lose more than I'm gaining I think. And 1 1/2 yrs ago when I was pregnant on that base, I got the white spots. On base I also began forgetting things but the doctors blew me off. I would forget I had stuff in the stove. I forgot what time to get my son at school one day. I wasn't stressed. Something was causing this but nobody would listen.

Vitiligo is an autoimmune disease.  It is mild compared to some of the others, but many times autoimmune illnesses travel in pairs.  So in Michael Jackson's case, he had vitilgo and lupus.  

What was your ANA level and pattern.  If you don't have a copy of your lab, you need to request a copy of the actual lab.  

Hang in there, it takes most people months and maybe even years to get a dx.  I know that is not what you wanted to hear.  But we are all here for you.

God bless, and thank you and your husband for serving our country.