Autoimmune Disorders Community
chronic dry cough

chronic dry cough

Was d w/ lupus several years back w/ 5 of the 11 criteria along w/ an ANA of 1:2,560.  For the past 1 1/2 years I've had a chronic-persistant dry cough....sometimes going into coughing spells.  Mostly, I am able to keep it somewhat at bay w/ cough drops, but am consuming a 50 ct package a day.

Have had several scopes and have very red and inflammed vocal chords, hiatal hernia along with severe acid reflux.  I am looking at having the hiatal hernia repaired in hopes it will calm the cough down.

I am currently on Nexium 2x/daily, Plaquinel, armour thyroid, vit d, and Evista.

Does anyone know if this type surgery would relieve this?  We have ruled out Sarcoidosis and anything thyroid related (antibodies, etc) w/ CT and x-rays of chest and tyroid antibody test.  

Thanks in advance for your input.
~Kara
Hi Karajo, My uncle had a dry cough for 2-3 years so bad he would talk and start coughing and just as u he also had a hiatal hernia he had his hernia for 10-15 years and it was horrible! Somedays he couldnt walk and he was told he could die if he didnt have it fixed but he didnt have health ins. But about 3 months ago he finally had the hernia repaired and the drs all said it was the worst one they had seen in their 20 years of practice! They said he was so lucky to be alive because it could have killed him at any moment! But after the surgery his cough mysteriously disappeared and he nor the drs understand why ! So I am pretty confident that yours will also ! I have a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux as well as chronic gastritis and when it starts to act up I start getting a dry choling cough! But when the hernia and gastritis gets back under control so does the cough! My husband has coughing attacks everynight when he goes to bed from acid reflux and when he takes something for the reflux the coughing stops too! So I think it goes hand in hand especially the hernia and coughing!
Get tested for Celiac disease.  These things can go together.  Not eating gluten would make you more comfortable and possibly even help you avoid surgery if it is a gluten problem.  
Already done that.

Thank you for your input.  It helps having someone to bounce things off of. Thanks.
Hey Karajo,
One fundamental remedy for coughs, throat infections, pneumonia, bronchitis etc. is magnesium chloride powder-pharmaceutical grade for ingesting-dilute one oz in a liter of filtered water and sip slowly throughout the day.
Not too fast as it may give you diarrhea, but it works really  well.
This is from a fellow Natural Health Practitioner from France who has used it for many years on thousands of "clients" ( do not like to call them patients in the Holistic circles)
Look seriously into Candida and mycotoxins that may be realated to your issues.
Take care
Niko
Thanks for your input.  The lady at the healthfood store told me about magnesium.  I already take a tablet.  I do have some crystals that you mix in water....and yes, it causes diarhea (diarrhea).  But I'll give that another whirl.  

Samantha, thanks for your encouragement.  You're very sweet.  The surgeon wants to do more test before he does surgery to make sure it's not Sjogren's related or the lupus has causes motility problems in the esophagus. (sp?)  So meanwhile, I'm still walking by faith and not by sight.  

Merry Christmas to all of you and God's blessings.
Nexium works by suppressing the production of stomach acid however stomach acid is vital for good health.

There are four primary consequences of acid blockers:

Increased bacterial overgrowth
Impaired nutrient absorption
Decreased resistance to infection
Increased risk of cancer and other diseases

The same cells that produce stomach acid also produce intrinsic factor. Intrinsic factor is required for vitamin B12 absorption. Acid blockers are a well noted cause of vitamin B12 deficiency. The current PPI (eg: nexium) warning is for magnesium deficiency.

Excerpt for an article is entitled "Vitamin B12 aids persistent dry cough"

"This study focused on 42 individuals with chronic, unexplained cough.  Of  these, 27 were found to be deficient in vitamin B12.  The remaining 15 people were not B12 deficient. The investigators found “laryngeal hyper-responsiveness” to histamine was significantly more common in individuals with B12 deficiency than those without."
Very interesting!

I'm really wanting to get off the Nexium.  I have a moderate hiatal hernia and have seen a surgeon to discuss repairing that.  He said he is hopeful I will be able to get off the Nexium.  Thank you for you helpful comment.

God bless, Kara
Hey Kara,
Great advice from Red_Star indeed! She's another gem here!
I know that most cases of hiatal hernia can be treated by Chiropractic Doctors. This approach is quite common and effective. I have a good friend and  I also have a client- both DCs- and we have discussed this in the past.
Look into it,  as this may help you avoid surgery.
Have a nice day.
Blessings.
Niko
I forgot to mention about Magnesium supplementation
that I use Magnesium Chloride transdermally.
It is called Magnesium Oil ( when mixed with water)and it is by far one of the best ways to get your magnesium levels up, very safely and very efficiently.
Your body will love this treatment also, as it is very soothing!
Let me know if you need details for this.
Niko
Have a heavy metal test for toxins ..and a hair follicle test
Thank you all for your input.  

Niko, where do you get the Mag. Oil?
Hey Kara,
I get it online from an importer in Ontario.
There are many online sellers. I buy the Magnesium chloride flakes
and mix it 50/50 with filtered water (hot) and when cool,I transfer to a spray bottle. Because it has a smooth and greasy feel, its called Magnesium oil.
So I spray it on my body-except sensitive areas- and massage it well.
I leave it on for about 30' and then shower. After I dry myself, I use a long
handle natural bristle brush and massage my body real good, for lymphatic stimulation.
You can buy ready made mag.oil, but it costs a lot more.
It's available  from some  health food stores as well.