Autoimmune Disorders Community
frequent urge to urinate

frequent urge to urinate

I was diagnosed with IgA Nephropathy 2 years ago (confirmed by biopsy in 2012), and recently I have a frequent urge to urinate with burning and pressure. It's worse in the morning. My Dr. ruled out a UTI, so I'm wondering what else can cause this. I'm waiting to see my nephrologist in two weeks, but this is very irritating in the meantime. I just had labs done, so I'm not sure what the current levels are, but my protein has been elevated the last few times and my creatinine around 2.0. My biopsy showed 40% scarring. Could the recent symptoms be an indicator of change in kidney function?
Hey debsmith.
Welcome to the forum.

Your IgAN comes unfortunately with the symptom of frequent urination.
Conventional medicine calls IgAN idiopathic.(no known cause)
Many studies indicate that people with IgAN have food allergies or food sensitivities that may linked to kidney damage.

I will list my suggestions how to have this verified or ruled out.
1. Elimination or hypoallergenic diet.
2. Dr. Cocoa's Pulse test (free download) Test for allergies, intolerance,
sensitivities (even delayed) to anything ingested. Takes a week to complete
3. Look into Gliadin test (urine), by Cyrex labs. They test 12 forms-not just the alpha ordered by most doctors- of gliadins regarding gluten intolerance (not necessarily digestive).
Now they can also test which part of the body is affected.
4. Leaky gut syndrome promotes food allergies. Malabsorbed food particles
can trigger serious reactions that can cause kidney damage.
  You may do a simple urine test for this:The mannitol and lactulose test.

It is important to consider reducing the amount of high proteins foods,
specially animal proteins, as they contribute to further kidney damage.

Study on Supplementing with high quality Omega-3 PUFAs:
"Effect of 12-month therapy with omega-3 polyunsaturated acids on glomerular filtration response to dopamine in IgA nephropathy.
Am J Nephrol. 2004.
Omega-3 polyunsaturated acids therapy is efficient in primary IgA nephropathy. It is unknown whether doses of omega-3 smaller than those given previously are still effective. The aim of the study was to examine the effect of omega-3 therapy on renal vascular function in relation to proteinuria and urinary excretion of N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminidase (NAG). 20 IgA Nephropathy patients aged 36.5 +/- 10 with creatinine clearance (Cr(cl)) 105 +/- 27 ml/min and proteinuria 3 +/- 2 g/24 h were given orally 810 mg EPA and 540 mg DHA daily for 12 months. Omega-3 supplementation is associated with the improvement of both renal vascular function and tubule function* in IgA Nephropathy patients."

*Tubule dysfunction is associated with frequent urination issues.

Hope this information helps, but please take time to check all this out on your own and post again or pm me directly if you have any questions,
or just to comment.

Best wishes!
Niko

Hey debsmith.
Welcome to the forum.

1. Elimination or hypoallergenic diet.

Am J Nephrol. 2004.

or just to comment.

Best wishes!
Niko

Thanks for your advice. I'm already diligent about my diet. I've been gluten-free for two years. I eat a plant-based diet (80% fruits and veggies), limit proteins, phosphates, sodium, etc., and I've done elimination diets to identify and remove triggers. I'm on fish oil - 2000mg daily. These symptoms are sudden and new. I've had IgAN for years and this just started a few weeks ago with no other significant changes in my routine or diet.