Autoimmune Disorders Community
lower back pain, muscle spasms in back

lower back pain, muscle spasms in back

I'm curious to know if sjogren's syndrome can cause back muscle spasms, especially in the lower back and if it can cause diffuse back pain with the major pain generally in the lower back.  The pain can move or perhaps just be more prominent in a different area, say my shoulder area or hip area.  My hips have been x-rayed and are fine.  

It always hurts when I get a massage and I always have knots.

I know I have other causes but I was just wondering if this pain could also be a component of sjogren's as when I hit a flare my back is very painful.

Thank you
Hi!
Yes individuals with Sjogren's syndrome can have muscle pain. The various other reasons for myalgia or muscle ache are lupus, Lyme’s, malaria, electrolyte disturbance especially low potassium (so serum electrolytes should be done), dehydration, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, inflammation of muscles or myositis (hence CPK-MB should be done), high eosinophil counts, use of certain drugs like statins, and post viral fatigue syndrome.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!
Thank you so much for answering me,

It does look like I have many areas to look into.  It is, if I'm reading you correctly, possible to have sjogren's itself be at least part of the cause of the pain.  

I will take this to my primary.  I can then have the other possible reasons, many which have already been ruled out, checked.

I have been trying to tell my doctor that I thought part of the pain could be from sjogren's.  In the end, I just want relief.  I have tried everything possible that I am capable of, as far as exercise under a PT's guidance, PT, acupuncture, massage and I can't seem to make any headway.

Originally I was told that if I did these things the pain would ease, but that has not been the case.  Having possibly medical validation (providing I have none of the other reasons you have stated) is worth gold to me at this point.

I cannot thank you enough for your answer and I am glad for other reasons to check out also.  I really would, of course, like something that is fixable.

Thank you again,

Lizzy

I have found that using a TENS unit for a couple of hours  in the evening in areas of muscle discomfort extremely helpful.  You can buy one on Amazon for about $50.  It was recommended by my physical therapist for these persistent muscle spasms and has been more helpful than any medications or massage for consistent long term relief.  Good luck.