Autoimmune Disorders Community
selenium for fullness in the neck

selenium for fullness in the neck

How much selenium do people take to relievve the fullness in the neck due to Hashimotos.
shennigan
200 mg of a good quality selenium, for thyroid issues.

Nicola.
Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, you should take dietary supplements only under the supervision of a knowledgeable health care provider.

Talk to your doctor before taking more than the recommended daily allowance of selenium. Although doses for some conditions are 200 mcg, there is some evidence that this amount could increase your risk for diabetes. Do not exceed the tolerable upper limit of 400 mcg. Over time, high doses of selenium can be toxic. Side effects include fingernail loss, skin rash, fatigue, irritability, and weight loss.

People who have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) or have had, or are at risk for, skin cancer should not take selenium without talking to their doctor. High selenium intake may increase the risk of diabetes and high cholesterol.
Oh geezzee...didn't know that! I have Hashi's and am taking Seleno-6. It's supposed to be selenium without the soy. (I'm allergic to soy). Have you ever heard about it?

Thanks for sharing! I'm seeing my Endo doc soon and will mention this to him. I do have high cholesterol also and there's a lot of diabetes in my family although my sugar seems to be okay.
I haven't heard of Seleno-6.  But I too am looking for answers to reduce my thick neck from hypothyroidism. I did not mean to scare you, but I too have Diabetes in my family and high cholesterol myself, so I needed just to make you aware of dosage precautions. Yes, its best to run this by a physician. Sometimes people don't realize even dietary supplements have interactions. We all have enough going on without adding fuel to the fire.  Let me know if the Seleno-6 is a good choice.