Autoimmune Disorders Community
swelling of fingers in winter

swelling of fingers in winter

.My fingers and toes get swollen in every winters since the age of 16-17.Its very painful and it get itchy in night and wen i try to make my fingers warm as it remains very cold usually in comparision to other people.My fingers get red hot in colour and this problem remains from Nov to Feb.Plz tel me medicine to overcome from this Problem.
put them in warm water and salt that will help
This sounds painful, do you have problems in the summer? Have you tried the half -hand gloves that leave the tips of the fingers out for use and the rest of the hand covered? This can help with that cold feeling.
Vitamin D3 can help with circulation. For lots of info on vitamin d go to the vitamindcouncil.org You can easily supplement with D3 over the counter at Costco, Walgreens, Walmart etc. The council recommends 5,000 IU a day and more if you have medical issues or are deficient.
Half of the people in the U.S. are deficient. You need a blood test of D3 to see where you are exactly. They recommend you be at 50- to 70 mg and not at the 20  or lower mg level. It takes a while, maybe a month for the D3 to build up especially if you are deficient. Try the D3 right away and get the blood test when you can.
If you do better in the summer it may not just be the heat, but the D3 your skin is making from the sunshine.

Some temporary ideas that might help. Do you drink hot tea? You can use non caffeinated and that will help your body warm up.  Acupuncture can also help with circulation, as can massage but the relief is temporary. Do you have any exercise you like? Some people swear by  Tai Chi for increasing circulation and Chi.

Good luck
elbamom
I just had to comment on this one.  I don't know if you have what I am going to describe, but it is worth looking into.  Years ago, when I moved from Hawaii to Kansas City, the cold weather almost killed me (literally).  I developed Raynauds phenomenon and shortly there after - Erythromelalgia.  If you're not familiar with these - they are both vaso-spastic disorders.  The first - the blood vessels contract when exposed to cold and stay contracted, making the extremity very cold - even turning blue and finally white.  It is very hard to warm them up and get the circulation going once this has taken place.  It is common in people who develop Scleroderma (or in my case the systemic form - Systemic Sclerosis) It can also be primary raynauds and not be associated with anything else.

Erythromelalgia is when the vessels open and allow excess blood into the extremity - although this disease is less understood.  The extremity becomes hot, very red, often swollen, and burns, and/or itches to the extreme.  I became so debilitated with this that I went to Mayo Clinic, where the diagnosis was confirmed, but they didn't have any treatment that worked.  I slept with my feet in a bucket of ice water for years.  I'd even put them out the sliding glass door and lay them in the snow in winter.  I never wore shoes, as it made them too hot, red and itchy.  They eventually began breaking down.  I tried having them chemically denervated, which was a disaster.  It was to see if I wanted to try having the nerves cut.  I even thought of amputation.  I was desperate.  In the beginning it was with both my hands and feet, but became mostly my feet.

After several years, I was forced to wear shoes due to being on a construction site and after about a year, got better.  It's still there, but not even close to being as bad as before.  I have a picture of a mild attack on my profile page.  It was the beginning of many an autoimmune disease that haven't stopped yet.  I'm 58 and have more than I thought was possible.

Your symptoms reminded me a bit.  Where is the itching when you warm them?  Also - please - try to avoid extremes.  Keep them as close to the same environmental temperature as possible, as the vessels can become spastic due to the warming and cooling.

Hey - just a thought.  I certainly hope you don't have any of these issues, but keep your hands warm in winter - don't let them get cold if possible.  Wear special gloves BEFORE you go out, and before they get warm and red, remove any warming device or technique.  Keep things level.

Blessings, Jan
thanx for ur valuable suggestions these suggestions are really useful  once again thanx a lot.