Autoimmune Disorders Community
swollen salivary gland

swollen salivary gland

During the day on Tuesday I noticed that my jaw, next to my chin, was swollen and itchy. It is still swollen and itchy and i have scaly rash over that area. Wed. the area on my face, just in front of my ear is now swollen. i went to my pcp on thursday and he said that he thinks it is my salivary gland??  He said to watch it over the weekend and to call him Monday am and let him know how i am.

i recently was diagnosed with fibromyalgia-this took a long time to get a diagnosis, however I am now concerned with this new issue.The swollen area is mildly uncomfortable, but not severe pain. I have been reading about swollen saivry glands and that it could possibly be caused by Sjogrens.  I have very dry eyes and dry month. My lips are always chapped. i am soon to be 34 and had a total hysterectomy and take estrogen. No dryness problems “down south” but my skin, eyes and mouth are very dry. The rhuemy that diagnosed the fibro did a ton of blood work (in Dec. 2010) and I was told it was all fine.

Should I be concerned?
If it was me I would be more than concerned ,as I would be in to see an ENT doctor and then a Dentist.
That is not Fibro and a blocked gland or swollen gland does not always affect the jaw, you have a trigmential nerve in that area, teeth, tissue and the rash is a sign something is going on.
See a Specialist (ENT) a good one, to see what is really going on right away...if it is an infection it could go to your brain. So, do not take it lightly.
I mentioned in another post I found whenever I had a DX that did not fit the symptoms, it was because they did not want to say I do not know. All is not fine and I bet whomever said that would not live with it. Please see a Specialist...if you thought it was fine you probably not have posted and asked. It is might be that you know it is not okay.
I wish you the very best and want you to get the best treatment possible. You are right to question what is going on it is your health and you deserve to know what is going on!
I'm calling the doctor Monday morning. Thank you for responding to my post. I really appreciate it!!
I am so glad you are calling Monday and please insist them seeing you. I hope it is not anything major, but it is not okay.
Good Luck and I would love to know what they end up finding out it is.
I will let you know. I have lost some sensation along my jaw line and it is starting to hurt, so I am becoming more worried.
I have Sjogren's (diagnosed last year, but probably had it for a long time before I was diagnosed) and yes, the parotid gland (salivary gland in front of your ear) can be swollen with Sjogren's (mine is) and that is actually how I came to be diagnosed.  I had been seeing rheumyies for about 5 or 6 years and an internal medicine doc came in, took one look at me and announced that I had Sjogren's.  When I asked what made her say that she told me about the swollen parotid gland.  I had bloodwork and a lip biopsy to confirm and yep, it was Sjogren's.  Sometimes you have to just keep asking until you find someone with the answer.
I went to the ent doctor yesterday. When I got there I was told I was seeing the PA.

Aside from the swelling he did not see evidence of infection. They did a sinus cat scan which was fine.

He gave me a steriod pack and a 10 day supply of antibiotics and said to call back first thing next week if I have not improved.

If my symptoms get worse I am to call.

I have thought about sjorgrens. I have spent the last year trying to find the source of all my pain. My latest doctor, a rhuemy, says I have fibromyalgia. I am taking lyrica.

I have dry eyes and mouth however I think it could be a side effect of the lyrica.

My skin is particularly dry. I actually use olive oil on my face now at night as everything else makes me break out.

Time will tell.
My face is still swollen. I am starting to get more concerned. I have an appt to see the ent doctor Monday.