Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Allergy to Thyroid medication
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Allergy to Thyroid medication

I had my thyroid removed in April 2011. I was placed on 112mcg of Synthroid at the time. I have been getting the generic brand of this medication for the last year. I broke out in a severe rash on my chest about 3 months ago. My regular doctor sent me to a dermatologist for the rash. They did a biopsy and have determined that I am allergic to my thyroid medication. What other options do I have if I cant take that medication? are there other forms that I can take?
Tags: Thyroid, skin allergies, tyroid medication, rash
642304_tn?1242610324
You could try natural thyroid medications, like Armour, which is a pig thyroid preparation containing porcine T3 and T4.  However, if you are responding immunologically to the Synthroid, eventually you could also do the same to the porcine T3 and T4.

I don't know how your physician determined that you were responding immunologically to the Synthroid, but this is certainly possible and could negate its effects by its removal.
3 Comments
Blank
You could also try Tirosint. It is T4 like Synthroid, but it is in gel form capsule. It supposedly does not have the added fillers of Synthroid and the generics.
Blank
A related discussion, Allergic to Whole Thyroid? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
22 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank