Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Auto-immune connection

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Auto-immune connection

Can you please explain the connection of neuropathy if someone is dx with Lupus, Sjogren's and Fibro?  At one point I was told I had autonomic neuropathy because of "syncopal episodes" and BP dropping very low before and after dx. Then I am told that I am at higher risk of neuropathy having Sjogren's? I s this true?  I have been at this for awhile and would like to understand it better. Thanks  
Autonomic neuropathy is a group of symptoms that occur when there is damage to nerves that regulate blood pressure, heart rate, bowel and bladder emptying, digestion, and other body functions.  Thus the possible connection to your BP swings.

The possible connection to Lupus, Fibromyalgia Syndrome and Sjogren's could be that all of these are associated with a high incidence of chronic infection(s).  The type of infection(s) that I am referring to are also implicated in peripheral neuropathy and other nervous tissue infections.  We find often that such patients are chronically infected wth Mycoplasma, Chlamydia pneumoniae, Borrelia burgdorferi or other chronic infections (HHV6, CMV, etc.).  

You should consider if this might be a problem.  For more information, go to our website, www.immed.org

Prof. Garth Nicoslon