Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Could my conditions be related?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Could my conditions be related?

Back in 1985 I was diagnosed with and overactive thyroid/Graves Disease. After several years of treatment i.e carbimazole and propranolol I finally had a sub total thyroidectomy in 1988 (90% of my thyroid was removed),I was 21yrs old at the time and Im now 43yrs old.  Ive had to take thyroxine ever since ranging from 100mcg - 175mcg depending on my fluctuating levels.  Up until Jan 2009 Ive had no other problems except approx 4 or 5 times a year I would ache all over, even the tops of my feet!  Ive been told this was connected to my thyroid disease.  Ive also suffered from itchy skin for 15 years for which I take antihistamines, again I was told by my dr that this was linked to my thyroid.  Since Jan 2009 Ive felt extremely ill with nausea, fatigue, dizziness, constipation and chest pains.  After various tests the only things that showed up were gastritis, possible IBS and Pernicious Anemia.  Ive read that Graves Disease and Pernicious Anemia are both autoimmune disorders, and that PA can sometimes cause gastritis.  Im now having B12 injections and was wondering if my gastritis might clear up if the underlying cause could have been PA and if by having 2 autoimmune disorders Im more likely to have another at some point?  Also is there a specific test that could be done that could link these conditions?