Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Different Strains of lyme?

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Different Strains of lyme?

Not sure if I can post two questions or not.  Guess I'll try! :)

I have lived in many places and traveled to many places in the world.  My husband is in the military and we have been around.  I have been exposed to ticks in Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Spain, and the UK.  Will the standard WB pick up on different strains from different parts of the world.  OR is it all the same?  I've never seen as many ticks as I did in Spain.  I would literally sit and pick HUNDREDS of ticks off our dogs at a time.  They were tiny too.  I guess I'm asking if theyre are different strains of lyme depending on location and is testing still the same?

Thanks again.
I am not sure about testing in Europe for Lyme Disease-associated Borrelia burdorgeri infections; however, they should be at least similar to the Borrelia strains found in N. America.  That said, the specific antigens on their surfaces which the tests depend on may be slightly different, and there are different species of Borrelia that could be important in places like Spain that we do not see much of here in N. America. ProfGN