Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Hashis pt. on sythroid with tsh going up?

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Labs:
6/16/10 tsh 6.0  -- started 50mcg synthroid
8/2010  tsh 5.05 -  up to 75mcg
11/8/10 tsh  4.8  -   up to 88mcg

2/5/11  tsh  5.5?  -- I can't get into the MD for 3 months so what can I do?  I haven't changed any of my routine... dietary, exercise and still taking meds on empty stomach with plenty of water.  What could be the cause of this?
Are you sure you haven't changed weight during this period?

If nothing else has changed, then your thyroid may be recovering.  This can happen if you had an infection that caused thyroiditis.

I have probably gained 5-10 lbs in the last few months.

I was diagnosed with a nodule on one side 4 years ago and biopsy that was consistent with hashimotos.  I have had another ultrasound last week and the nodule has remained roughly the same size.  I have definitely felt that my symptoms have gotten a little worse lately

If your TSH is moving up, how does this reflect your thyroid getting better?

thank you for your time!
It doesn't.  What are your T3, T4 levels over time?  
Dr. Nicolson,
I am a 35-year old RN who has been suffering for the past 9 years. I was just recently diagnosed with mycoplasma pneumonia, and have been diagnosed with EBV and CMV in the past, and present. I also have HHV6. I used to go through phases of remission and relapses, but this last time, no remission for 9 months. I was an active, healthy woman whose life has been robbed by these bugs.
I am currently on the mycoplamsa protocol in Orlando, with the only doctor who specializes in this.
I have been on Zithromax and NAC for 3 months, along with a slew of supplements. I did Tindamax, 250mg a day for 5 days, then 500mg for 5 days, of which I lasted a total of 9 days. On the 9th day, I went into SVT, which eventually slowed, along with a plethora of other exotic symptoms. I stopped all antibiotics for 10 days and relapsed. I take Zithromax M, W, and F, and have taken 2 doses since I relapsed. My dr. wants me to start low dose prednisone and Valtrex, as my CMV titers are escalating. Not sure I want to take the predisone, even though it's low dose (40mg total daily x 5 days), because I am a nurse and don't want to catch any more infections, or experience anymore side effects. Eventually my dr.  wants me to continue with low dose Tindamax for the soft shelled eggs (eww), and he saus there's no other treatment to get rid of them other than Flagyl, which is just as nasty as Tindamax.
I want your opinion on what I'm taking and how, and if possibly we may be missing anything, in medicine or diagnoses. My symptoms are horrible. They come and go minute to minute, hour to hour, fluctuating in severity. I have muscle weakness, aches, lightheadedness, humming sounds in my head, extreme malaise (the worst symptom yet), fatigue, palpitations, racing heart, skipped beats, acne, chroic stuffy nose, etc. I'm sure you've heard it all before. There are extremely scary, because I feel like there are getting worse, and I am afraid my body won't be able to handle much more. I want to know what the long-term consequences are of these diseases, treated and not, and what path you think I should take.
Now Im on Valtrex for high cmv titers..
Also, I try to exercise when I can, and sometimes I do ok, other times, makes me extremely weak and 'yucky' feeling. Being inactive is driving me crazy. Is exercise beneficial or detrimental?