Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
I have MS, Should I see someone about the possibility of

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Hello, my name is Rena and I am a member of the MS Forum. I have Secondary Progressive MS and COPD and Asthma and they are all under control with medication... I hope! On Sunday past I took a shower and I felt fine when I got in but when I got out I had a terrible pain across the middle of my back.  I assumed that I may have pulled a muscle or something in the shower.    
As the day continued the pain accelerated and by the early evening everything got just plain bad.
I was lying on my back on the couch and suddenly it seemed as though the pain was growing throughout my body and it was horrible.  It moved down my legs and into my arms and my neck and the pain was about a 9 out of 10.  When I went to bed it was not a restful night at all.  It seemed that as the night progressed the pain moved to my left side and then down into my left hip.  I couldn’t lie on my left side at all and could only lie on the right side for short periods of time.When I got up in the a.m. the pain was in my left hip and my left leg.  It wasn’t until about four o’clock on December 3rd that the pain began to subside and by about 8 p.m. the pain was pretty much gone.  
I was tested for Fibromyalgia a few years back and I had 6 of the 18 tender spots that the doctor told me are indicative for Fibromyalgia.  I had a throat biopsy done last year and the doctor that did the pre-op medical checked these spots again and he said I should be seen by a specialist because he said that I had a whole lot more than 6 tender spots.  I just assumed he was in training but perhaps he was on to something??? Do you think I should try to see a specialist right away or should I do the wait and see thing?  I really, really appreciate ANY information that you may be able to supply me with.  

Rena
Your pain sounds like fibromyalgia,  and you should look into this.  So, what possible linkage could there be between progressive MS, asthma, COPD and fibromyalgia?  

One possible link is that all of these conditions show a very high prevalence of chronic infections.  Let’s just consider one type of chronic infection (Since I know quite a bit about this infection, I will use it as an example, but it is only one example of the type of chronic infection(s) that could be at the bottom of your problems).  For example, if we consider positive systemic Mycoplasma infections, fibromyalgia (~70%), progressive MS (~50%), asthma (~40%), and COPD (% not established, but significant)—all of these conditions show some evidence of chronic infection(s).  

In our experience all of the infection-positive chronic illness patients benefited from anti-infective therapies.  Thus this is something that you should look into.
Prof. Nicolson
I forgot to mention that I have horrible pain in my legs every night when I lie down to watch tv.  I was given Amytriptyline years ago for this pain but it is no longer working.  Again, I thank you for any help you can give me!

Rena