Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Is Dercums disease terminal?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is Dercums disease terminal?

I have had Dercum's disease for over 40 years and have come to a stage where I can only function like a sick 85 year although I am only 65.
Related Discussions
642304_tn?1242610324
Dercum's Disease or Syndrome is a rare condition characterized by scattered areas of painful skin nodules or fat accumulations. The development of nodular, tender lipomas is gradual with localization largely on the trunk and limbs with sparing of the face and hands.

Although Dercum's is usually not considered a fatal disease, it can progress to involve sensitive organs like the heart (causing cardiovascular disease, such as valve problems, cardiomyopathy, etc.), and in time this could be a real problem.  
3 Comments
Blank
Thank you for your responce. As you can imagine, I am well informed about Dercums. The aspect of involving sensitive organs however, was new to me.
With best wishes,
Kattamaki
Blank
1947762_tn?1372454054
A related discussion, thanks was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank