Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Livedo reticularis, leg swelling, lyme related?

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

When I was really ill with Lyme I developed splotchy, lacey, web like redness on legs. We thought this was due to interaction between Wellbutrin and Amantadine, which can cause this. I stopped Amantadine several years ago, but the splotchy skin on legs remains. Do you think the Lyme is involved?
Also, recently my legs have started to swell. By the time I get to the breakfast table they are already swollen. Do you think the Lyme is causing this problem, which we think is lymph? I had severe neck lymph pain for several years with the lyme. Lymphatic massage really helped. In other words, is the lyme impacting the circulation system now?
Thanks for all your replies, Dr. N.!!
Skin rashes, redness, sunburn feeling, and other signs and symptoms are typical of certain intracellular bacterial skin infections.  Lyme Borrelia b. can cause this as well as Mycoplasma species and Chlamydia pn.  These infections can also cause endocarditis, myocarditis, heart valve problems and other heart abnormalities.
I want to add when I had vaginal surgery this summer, EKG report said borderline abnormal EKG. Sent to cardiologist for consult; he did not feel it was that abnormal, but that I could do a heart MRI to see if lyme has infiltrated the heart. At that time I declined since he wasn't very concerned; now I wonder if it might be related to leg swelling (calves and thighs).
Knowing lyme, what is your advice?
The infections under discussion can cause vasculitis or inflammation of the vascular system.  One of the problems found in vasculitis is vascular leak or passage of blood circulatory fluid into tissues, resulting in edema or swelling of tissues with fluid.

These infections also affect the heart, causing endocarditis, myocarditis, valve problems, among other heart mechanical and electrical problems.
Thank you. I will request retesting of the infections you have mentioned, and others that I have not been tested for.