Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Lupus and Hormone Replacement Drug (Premerin mainly)
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lupus and Hormone Replacement Drug (Premerin mainly)

Dr. Nicholson,

Do you have any experience with Premerin causing an autoimmune response?  I have been on it for 21 years, 2 1/2 years ago became ill and have since been diagnosed with lupus.  I got off of Premerin 2 months ago and my ANA is going down.  We also have a friend who was on it for a short time and got DILE.  When taken off she eventually became completely well.

Thank you
Related Discussions
642304_tn?1242610324
Premerin contains only estrogen and is used primarily in the prevention and management of osteoporosis, vasomotor symptoms and vaginal dryness associated with menopause.  Although the relationship between estrogen and autoimmune disorders is not clear, such hormones can stimulate some chronic infections.  This may be why it can be associated with DILE (Drug Induced Lupus).  The majority of Lupus patients have chronic infections.  In one of our studies over 50% had systemic Mycoplasma species infections.  This type of microorganism is stimulated by estrogen, so it might be a factor.
2 Comments
Blank
471161_tn?1317194550
Thank you Dr. Nicholson.  I am going to a new Rheumatologist in the morning and I will ask him about this.  Can it be cured with an antibiotic?  If so which one?
Thanks again...
Joni
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank